Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

Advice please

by dougxx Online Now May 13, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Hello,

We are planning to spend the last 10 days on our honeymon in Port Douglas(september). We are not sure wether to book accomodation for 10 nights or to travel around. Can Somebody please advice?

Thanks
Doug

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • swissfondue's Profile Photo

Re: Advice please

by swissfondue Online Now May 13, 2008 at 2:35 AM

I would base myself in Port Douglas, or maybe down the road at Palm Cove and do some day trips to the reef, Daintree etc. Not sure where you will have been prior, but its a great spot for relaxing... and it is your honeymoon after all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Advice please

by Anne12 Online Now May 15, 2008 at 2:47 AM

Port Douglas is wonderful and you will have a great time.
    If you can hire a car and have a look around, I would highly recommend this.
    Why stay in one place for 10 days when you are open ot other options.

My suggestions are to stay in Cairns for a 2 nights. First day do the rail up to Kuranda and then skyrail down. This is a fun thing to do.
    Visit the Botanical Gardens, look around the Esplanade and explore the northern beaches.
    Then you could head up to the Atherton Tablelands. This area has some wonderful little villages, lakes/waterfalls and scenic views are wonderful.
    I highly recommend a place called Fur and Feathers to stay at.Here they have self contained small houses set among the rainforest area. These are just great. Spa in Bathroom and fire place if cold. You are supplied breakfast and at night and during the day the bird/animal life is great.You take your few supplies for meals....( who wants food on a honeymoon anyway!!!!!:))
    Wonderful for a honeymoon.
    You could stay here one or two nights....
    Then from here you can drive through the hills, again great drive, to Port Douglas. Stay in Port for a few nights, from here you go out to the Reef. Great restaurants and the 4 Mile Beach is just wonderful.
    From Port you can do a trip to Cape Tribulation, via Mossman Gorge ( the gorge is a must!!) Instead of coming back that day, spend a couple of nights up in the Daintree/Cape Trib area. This is just lovely. Great beach areas along the cost here.
    ( Don't swim in the rivers though...nasty crocs don't like that!!!:))
    The you could head back to Port for a night before heading home...
    I haven't counted the nights I have spent for you, but it;'s just an example.

You can get heaps and heaps of brochures when you arrive, plus maps etc.
    I would book the first nights in Cairns and also at Fur and Feathers...then go by the seat of your pants and do bookings as you go...OR book ahead:)

I recommend the Redspot car hire at the Cairns airport, they do have all the other car hire names there as well.

By doing something like the above, you will see a great amount of this area.
    You have a great trip:)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines