Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

wonderful hotel?

by carbradley Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I might be reading too many reviews about the hotels and resorts in Port Douglas but I can't seem to find a really wonderful one. Can anyone highly, without any hesitations recommend the best hotel there! thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: wonderful hotel?

by Kakapo2 Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I have not stayed but had lunch there, and at the time thought how wonderful this place was:

Silky Oaks Lodge

http://www.silkyoakslodge.com.au/

qldtravel.com.au/port-dougla...

It is north of Port Douglas (about 20 mins), in the Daintree National Park.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: wonderful hotel?

by Anne12 Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Port Douglas accommodation is more apartment style, not hotels.
    There are some amazing apartments available there. Every week there is a new one opening.
    Most of the apartments are self contained...kitchen etc.
    All have pools.
    These range in price.
    The main street of Port has some wonderful restaurants and cafe's, plenty of places to eat. Also a couple of hotels to have a drink at.
    My favourite is the Salsa Bar and Grill.So you don't have to cook, just sleep there.
    If you are coming between late June to around end of October you won't need a pool, you will love to swim at the 4 mile beach...this is great.

One that I have stayed at is Oaks Lagoons, this is new and is lovely and clean, great pool area, close to beach and also a bus runs from here to the main street all day and night until around midnight..or there are taxi's to use.

There is also Beaches, this is very close to the town centre and right on the doorstep of the 4 mile beach.

There are so many more...checkout wotif.com.au also, you might find something there.

You won't really need to spend a lot of time in your accommodation, so much to do outside:)

• Marianne2's Profile Photo

Re: wonderful hotel?

by Marianne2 Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I'm not sure what you want as the "best," but I have stayed at the Sheraton Mirage (on business), which is a 5-star hotel resort-type accommodation, quite posh, and with excellent pools and restaurants on site. It is just south of Port Douglas. I had an excellent experience. Although the place was very luxurious, it had no particular personality to it. If you want luxury, there it is.

However, I've far more enjoyed two stays at the Silky Oaks Lodge, as Kakapo mentions. This place has real personality, and you're in the rainforest, with lots of wildlife and a river, and good walks around the periphery. This is much more to my tastes, but it just depends on what you are looking for. There are loads of other properties to look at, as Anne proposes. Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines