Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location
Simone511's Profile Photo

driving north from Port Douglas

by Simone511 Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM

I shall be spending five nights in Port Douglas in a few months. Shall be there in my own car, which is not a 4wd. Wondered how far north it is possible to drive in a normal 2wd car? How far north does the made road go, before it turns to dirt/gravel 4wd-only territory. The Daintree, Cape tribulation, Cooktown?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • tropicrd's Profile Photo

Re: driving north from Port Douglas

by tropicrd Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Hi,

You can drive right up to Cape Tribulation which is over the Daintree river via the punt ferry--from there the road is for 4wd only.It is called the Bloomfield track and goes to Cooktown.
    You can drive the inland road to Cooktown now as it is all sealed and really a very nice drive through Lakelands.

I wish you a fantastic time and as a local I often do this road trip.

Dorrise

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: driving north from Port Douglas

by Anne12 Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Hi
    You can drive from Port Douglas to Cape Trib in a normal sedan car.
    The roads are sealed all the way from Port to the Cape.
    It's a great drive, easy to do.

In a few months you will be able to go from Cape Trib onto Cooktown on the coast road. Well,I should say you should be able to as it will not be the wet season.You will need a 4x4 to do the Cape Trib to Cooktown part of trip.
    This is one of my favourite trips, I love driving this road to Cooktown.
    You will then be able to come back down the inland road, this is now sealed all the way from Cooktown to Port.

I hire a 4x4 for this trip, as you do need a 4x4 once you leave Cape Trib and head to Cooktown. You can't do it ina normal sedan.
    There are many hire places that you can use to get a 4x4, BUT even if they hire 4x4's they sometimes don't allow you to go as far as Cooktown with them( along the coast road)...I know it's strange but true.It isn't a good idea to *sneak* up there in these 4x4's as they sorta find out.

There is a place in Cairns that hires 4x4's that allows you to go along the coast road...guess what I bloody forget the name, it's near the airport...I will look over the weekend a and let you know the name.
    You are looking at about 120 Aus dollars for each 24 hour period.
    I would suggest that you stay one night in Cooktown...this trip can be done in a day, but it's rather tiring.
    There are a couple of hire places in Port, just check that they allow the 4x4 to go past Cape Trib.

Cheers
    Anne

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines