Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

Advice please! Hotels, food and trips :-)

by Balicinta Online Now Jan 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Hi,

My husband and I are going to PD for a long weekend. Since we won't be there for long, I was hoping to get some advice to make the mot of our time in PD.

What would be the better option? A drive to Cape Tribulation/Daintree, the skyrail/scenic train trip or a day trip to Low Isles?

We are planning to do a dive on the reef and would like a smaller group that does three dives at three different locations. Who would you recommend?

Also, (sorry!) has anyone done the Flames of the Forest? Is it worth the200 price?

Thanks so much for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

Zoe

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Advice please! Hotels, food and trips :-)

by Anne12 Online Now Jan 28, 2008 at 9:09 AM

I would suggest the drive to Cape Tribulation is the best thing to do from Port.Not to be missed really.
    Also I would give the lowe Isles a miss and do the outer reef. I always recommend the Quicksilver trip for this, I have done this many times and love it.Qicksilver also does dive groups. They have a web site.
    If you do the drive to Cape Trib, leave early morning as then you will beat the tourist buses:) Mossman Gorge is not to be missed, about 2 hours can be spent here, then up to Daintree and over the river and onwards. It's a great day out. You can stop along the way for a drink etc at the different cafe's.
    I haven't done the Flames of the Forest dinner. I did the Sound of Silence in Ullluru and loved that.
    I can personally recommend the Salsa Bar and Grill for dinner. I love it there.
    Last time we were there we couldn't get into the Salsa Bar and Grill, did the Dining Room restaurant and loved it as well.Food is amazing at both places.Cocktails are damn good too:)
    The Courthouse pub does a good meal as well.
    I love Port, one of my favourite places. I live in Cairns and we go there regularly.
    I haven't time to tell you more as I am off to work, at bloody 3.30am...Oh well someone has to make coffee for the travellers:)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kac_27's Profile Photo

Re: Advice please! Hotels, food and trips :-)

by kac_27 Online Now Feb 4, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Quicksilver tends to be bigger groups and I've heard a lot of people who were actually disappointed after going with them. (I lived and worked in Port Douglas for a few months)
    Calypso has large boats but keeps small groups - which means lots of space and lots of attention. They head out to 3 different sites as well (but I think most of the companies do). I would highly recommend them. check out calypsocharters.com.au/index...

They also have hot water showers which is really nice to rinse off after that last snorkel!

If you want the best Club sandwich ever, go to Cafe Fresq!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines