Port Douglas Travel Answers

change location

have you stayed at le cher du Monde

by flossyflo Online Now Dec 7, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Hi has anyone stayed at the Le Cher Du Monde, if so what is it like , we are coming to Port Douglas the last week of December and staying 10 days.
Also what are the best drives around.

Thanks heaps
Flossyflo

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: RE: have you stayed at le cher du Monde

by Anne12 Online Now Dec 7, 2006 at 2:49 PM

G'day Flossyflo:)

I don't know the Du Monde, but have looked at the site and it is in a great position, right in the middle of everything. All these places are great, all very much the same.
    In Port you have a great selection of shops and restaurants. The Salsa Bar and Grill is great, my favourite. You must have the chocolate souffle.
    There is also a great place on the inlet that is not pricy..this is the Combo club, good views and food..cheap drinks.
    From Port I would do the Quicksilver outer reef cruise....I am doing this tomorrow:)
    The beach is great here, they have stinger nets in now, so you must swim inside these.
    There is heaps you can do. Drives I would recommend are.
    One is the drive from Port to Mossman gorge, then onward to Daintree, from there over the river by barge and onward to Cape Tribulation...wonderful scenery.
    Leave early morning to get to Mossman by 8am ( 15 minutes from Port) this way you will beat the tourist buses:)Allow an hour or more to walk this area...easy walk around the gorge.Wear good shoes as when it has rained it cn be a bit slippery...don't wear flip flops:)
    Another nice drive is from Port to Mount Molloy, then around to Kuranda, you will drive through the hills and then from Kuranda you will go down to the highway and back up to Port.Kuranda has markets and other great stuff to see.
    You could also go for a drive to Cairns as there is a few great things to do there. Skyrail up to Kuranda and then down by the train, or vise versa.
    Also you could go to Cairns and then up to Atherton and area, lakes and lovely scenery.
    Cairns also has the Tropical Zoo which is popular.
    If you drive to Cairns you can also call into the northern beach area..Palm Cove is a nice one to visit.
    Sunday markets are great in Port.

Once you are there, get a good map and check out the brochures...hundreds of them:)You will be able to book tours etc at you accomm.

Be very careful driving anywhere up here when it has been raining or is raining:) as it's easy to slip off the road...just follow the speed limits and you will be fine...take time and care:)
    Bring a small brolly as it will rain,tis the wet season:)
    Check out my Port pages for more info.
    New Year in Port will be fun, there will be live music at one of the pubs...party time!!!!
    Cheers
    Anne

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Anne12 Online Now Dec 9, 2006 at 7:18 PM

Flossyflo I had a look at Cher Du Monde from the outside.
    Was in Port for the weekend.
    It is in the main street, very central It looks fine.
    If you haven't booked, I have stayed at Villa San Michelle the last couple of times and it's great.It is also in the centre of town.
    Try to do a deal as it's not the high tourist season so they should give you a bit of a standbye deal.
    Cheers
    Anne

by flossyflo Online Now Dec 9, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Thanks heaps for your answers, I cant wait to get up there, only 15 more sleeps,the drive advice is excellent and we have booked the le cher du monde.

have a top day

Flossy flo

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines