change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• V.Heywood's Profile Photo

Sacred Heart Statue

by V.Heywood Online Now Oct 14, 2010 at 7:46 AM

There is a statue of the Sacred Heart on the alter of our little Oratory commemorating the lads from what was then called 'Kingstown' (now named DĂșn Laoghaire) County Dublin, Ireland, who were killed in the 1st World War in the trenches and at the Battle of Ypres. The little Oratory is one of Ireland's treasures as its Celtic Revival Murals, painted by Sister Concepta Lynch, are unique.

The Dominican Sisters tell me that the statue came from the town in Flanders where the Irish soldiers of the Irish Guards where billeted. They didn't know exactly where. Helped to research this question I have found that the Statue may have been sent from Poperinge; I've noted in your photo of the Church interior that the Altar is without a statue.

My question is: Would any member of Poperinge Church congregation be able to confirm my theory by searching the church archives?

I would be most grateful if I could be informed as to whether my hunch is correct.

2 Answers Oct 15, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    • war grave

by pete32 Online Now Apr 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM

my great grand father killed first world war.poperinge near war grave. If I get to Dunkirk how far to Poperinge in car and I get Taxi.

1 Answer Apr 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM