Poole Travel Answers

change location

Transportation from hotel to ferry terminal

by shill46 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

In June we plan to take the Poole-Cherbourg 9 am ferry as foot passengers with luggage (renting a car in Cherbourg). Is there a hotel with reliable transportation to the ferry terminal? Any other suggestions?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: Transportation from hotel to ferry terminal

by johngayton Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Unfortunately the ferry terminal is a little bit out of town and is about five minutes walk from the nearest bus stop and so if you have heavy luggage a taxi will be your best bet. Personally I never stay in Poole since Bournemouth hotels are half the price and the two towns are connected by regular bus and train services.

For a 9 am departure I'd stay over in Bournemouth, get the train into Poole and a taxi from the station there. For travel options use www.travelinesw.com and as mentioned before www.booking.com is good for hotels.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Transportation from hotel to ferry terminal

by shill46 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I went on the website of the hotel you suggested. Didn't see anything about transportation, but I guess most people go on the ferry in cars. I'll keep looking.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by shill46 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Thank you for such a specific answer! The Bournemouth idea is good, though so many changes in forms of transportation so early in the morning seems stressful. (And there's getting to the train in Bournemouth, too.) I will check out the transportation site you mentioned.

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

You could stay in Poole old town area, it's a 15 minute walk (or a very quick taxi ride) to the ferry terminal over the old green bridge.
    There's Corkers on the Quay (they do good weekend breakfasts too), there's Hotel du Vin (upmarket) and The Crown (an old inn with old bar below) close-by. I'll be there this weekend, do let me know if you want anything checking out. I stay in the Old Town every couple of months.
    corkers.co.uk/corkers-guest-...
    tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi...
    hotelduvin.com/locations/poo...

2 members found this helpful

• by shill46 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Thank you for practical advice, KShezz! For some reason (maybe too much travel planning at once?), I overlooked the ordinary email as a fast, direct way to get information not available on the internet. A friend in the UK had suggested the RNLI (Royal National Lifesaving Institution) as a reasonable, clean, and comfortable hotel option, and Trip Advisor gave it really good reviews. So I emailed to ask if they had a room available when we needed it and how we would get to the ferry. They wrote back immediately and said they would reserve both the room and a taxi, as they have done for past guests. I'm relieved and looking forward to staying at this interesting place, which is a charitable lifesaving organization that supports its mission with its hotel component. You were right that they have a relationship with a taxi company for transport to the ferry. Thanks again!

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Good choice, I forgot about that. They've got a small museum, shop and a nice restaurant/ bar with great views. If you're there on a weds (maybe check this) you can view them practicing in their indoor pool- often tipping a boat and trying to get out. Enjoy Poole.

by shill46 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM

northeast80 wrote:
    You could stay in Poole old town area, it's a 15 minute walk (or a very quick taxi ride) to the ferry terminal over the old green bridge. There's Corkers on the Quay (they do good weekend breakfasts too), there's Hotel du Vin (upmarket) and The Crown (an old inn with old bar below) close-by. I'll be there this weekend, do let me know if you want anything checking out. I stay in the Old Town every couple of months. corkers.co.uk/corkers-guest-... tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi... hotelduvin.com/locations/poo...

I don't know if I acknowledged your great suggestions.  I wish we were going to be in Poole longer as a destination not just a sleepover before the ferry.  It sounds like a place we'd enjoy exploring.  So many fun places, so little time! Thank you!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines