Pondicherry Travel Answers

change location

Tousif

by tousif27 Online Now Dec 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM

We are a group of 8 members travelling from Bangalore to Pondicherry(17th dec 2011 in Car) for the first time. We are planning to leave by sat morning and reach bangalore by Mon Morning. As I am pretty new can anyone please draft a plan for the places to visit(within our time span), place to stay(hotel or I have heard of Ashram)?? and can we have a campfire near beaches?? Please reply at the earliest as I have only a week!!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Tousif

by Myboomi.in Online Now Dec 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Hi,

Pondicherry is relatively a small place compared to Bangalore . You can plan for 1 attraction for each day and relax for the rest of the day - this way you can space out your time.Pond has plenty of small restaurants serving both French and Tamil cuisine plus lots of small bars.

.Places of interest-

1. Permedu :archaeological site . Throws a lot of insight into indo roman trade relations between india and the Romans. The excavation site has a small museum too. Tough this not on the tourist map at all it is worth a visit.

2. Auto ills - the ashram . It's worth a visit .

3. Kanchipuram temple - about 1.30 hours drive from piney

4. Mamallapuram . 1 hour drive.

5. lots and lots of small villages you can drive by to and just relax with a packed lunch and beer. Though you may want to avoid drinking and blasting music near fishing village .

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by tousif27 Online Now Dec 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your valuable input.Could you please walk me through the place where we can stay? I was reading couple of post threads here and one of them says its good to stay in a Aurobindo guest house. Is it true? Can you please name few hotels or guest houses which are cheap ?? Also can you please name few beaches where we can enjoy? Is camp fire allowed near d beach? Im sorry for posin so many questions. We want our 2-day stay in Pondy to be a memorable one :)

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Tousif

by Donna_in_India Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Hi - Pondicherry is a really great place to visit. The French Quarter is delightful. There is quite a lot to see and do in the area, which is why I'm going to respectfully disagree with the other poster who suggested visiting Kanchipuram and Mamallapuram. Kanchipuram does indeed have wonderful temples BUT all of the temples completely shut at noon and don't re-open until after 4. So you'd have to leave very early, rush through a few temples, and sit around for 4 hours. Mamallapuram is definitely an interesting place to visit but not sure if you want to spend more time driving after you've driven from B'lore to Pondi.

For suggestions on what to see in Pondi, take a look at the "things to do" on my Pondicherry page (Pondicherry: Relaxing & Charming - Pondicherry, India. (My list would include: explore/walk the French Quarter, Auroville, Immaculate Conception Cathedral, French War Monument, Government Park, Gandhi Monument, Pondicherry Museum, Sacred Heart Church, walk along the Promenade, Prithiyankara Devi Kali Temple, Saneeswarar Temple, Manakula Vinayagar Temple, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, the Old Lighthouse, and Church of Our Lady of Angels.)

The cafe on the promenade (Le Cafe) is a great place to have a snack and watch the sun setting. I don't think you can have a campfire anywhere along the promenade. And there are plenty of casual and nicer restaurants.

For inexpensive accommodations, the ashram is always recommended. We didn't stay there but check back in the Pondicherry forum (VT Forum temporarily unavailable for information because I know it has been discussed before.

Have a great time!

by tousif27 Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Hey Dona,

That was helpful indeed. I will definitely go through the links provided. In case I have any more questions I will post them. Thanks for your patience and time :)

by tousif27 Online Now Dec 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Hello,

Does any1 have ashrams phone number in order to book a room?? Also can any1 please name few hotels which are cheap somewhere within 1k for a night? Can I go directly to the ashram and book the rooms or do have I have to book it prior ? Please reply at the earliest

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Tousif

by Donna_in_India Online Now Dec 15, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Here is the info for the Ashram guest houses:

sriaurobindoashram.org/visit...

For other, try contacting the tourist office. They should be able to help.

Tel: 91 413 2339497
    http://tourism.pondicherry.gov.in/

by tousif27 Online Now Dec 15, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried calling all the guest houses mentioned in the link provided but everyone say there is no reservation . Also tried the tourist help line number given it says "out of service". What do I do? On arriving pondicherry can I book the rooms?If yes, please mention the name of the cheap hotels as its a matter of only 1 NIGHT STAY. Please suggest as I am completely let down by their replies :(

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Pondicherry