change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• FunLovinTourist's Profile Photo

Ferry options from Salerno to Positano

Campania Jun 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Hello everyone. I'm going to be arriving in Salerno via cruise ship (Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas) on 4 September. My plan is to take a ferry, first thing in the morning, from Salerno to Positano.  (And then after spending some time in Positano, take the SITA bus to Amalfi, and then finally a ferry from Amalfi back to Salerno.)  I would like to get to Positano as early in the morning as possible to maximize my sightseeing time.  I expect to be able to disembark from the cruise ship at 7 in the morning or shortly thereafter.

From what I've read online, there are a several options for the ferry from Salerno to Positano:

1. Travelmar/Cooperativa Sant'Andrea (I believe these are the same thing), and this ferry departs regularly from the pier nearest Piazza della Concordia, but the earliest departure is 8:40 in the morning. I've read that a shuttle bus is available from the cruise ship to Piazza della Concordia.  This trip is advertised as 70 minutes.
      2. Alicost, which departs from the Molo Manfredi pier only at 8:40 in the morning (I wonder if this is a commuter ferry?)  I don't know how long this trip takes.
      3. NLG, which also departs from the Molo Manfredi pier only only at 8:20 in the morning, and is apparently a high speed ferry that takes 50 minutes.

Here are my questions that I hope can be answered:

1. Is Molo Manfredi easier to get to than taking a shuttle bus from the ship to Piazza della Concordia?  I don't know exactly where the cruise ship will dock, and from what I've read online, the Salerno port is quite large.
      2. I'd like to be able to enjoy the ferry trip, and hopefully enjoy the view of the coast from the ferry.  It looks like the Travelmar/Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferries allow for enjoying the view with outside seating.  Does the NLG ferry also have outside seating?  Is it an unpleasant journey because it is high-speed?  I'd love to take a few good photos of arriving in Positano.  It looks like a stunning view from the pictures I've seen online.  I can't wait to visit! smiley

Many thanks in advance for any insight and guidance that you can provide!  Ciao!

more
    • BUS FROM SORRENTO TO NAPLES

Sorrento Jul 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM

STAYING IN SORRENTO AND WANT TO TAKE A BUS TO NAPLES. HOW MUCH, HOW LONG AND WHERE DO WE CATCH THE BUS?

more
    • Positano, sorento, or Amalfi town

Amalfi Jul 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM

My husband and I are traveling to italy for the first time this September. We will be spending 5 days along the Amalfi Coast. Being unfamiliar with the area, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to stay. We will be traveling by train, coming from Florence. Any suggestions on what to see and do while there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

more
    • Sunday opening

Paestum Jul 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Is the site open on Sundays and do the trains and buses run on that day?

more
    • Sights to see

Sorrento Jul 7, 2014 at 6:34 AM

We are going to stay in Sorrento and then Naples. We want to see Pomei, Hercanleum, and Mount Vesuvius. Should we divide it up and do Mt. Vesuvius when we get to Naples or do all three from Sorrento or all three from Naples?

more
    • Traveling from Sorrento to Naples Italy

Sorrento Jul 19, 2014 at 6:09 PM

What is the best way to go to Naples from Sorrento Italy?

more
    • Jepstein517's Profile Photo

Transportation from Praiano to Florence

Amalfi Jun 24, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Having been helped so much getting from Rome to Praiano by bus (thanks so much!), we now will need to get from Praiano to Florence next Monday by 5 p.m. Are there any buses that could do the trick? We hesitate to take trains b/c we have 4 pieces of luggage (2 large, 2 small) and are concerned about getting them on and storing them on the train. I guess we will if there is no option, but you guys are so knowledgeable, I'm hoping someone knows a way by bus.

Thanks, Judi

more
    • Train from Florence to sorrento

Sorrento Yesterday

Can someone please give me the exact train line and location to get from Florence Santa Maria train station into florence? Can i take Italo to Naples and then take another local train? If so, what local train, how do i schedule it and whats the website?!

more
    • Sorrento bus to Massa Lubrense

Sorrento Jul 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I got the part of taking the Circumvesuviana train from Napoli Central to Sorrento but need to find out which bus to take from Sorrento to the hotel & Spa Bellavista Francischiello on Via Partenope Massa Lubrense. Thank you very much for any info.

more
    • Day trip to Paestum from Sorrento

Paestum Jun 28, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Is it possible to do a day trip from Sorrento to Paestum, stopping on Amalfi Coast & Salerno as well? Is it possible using public transport or should we do an organised tour?

more
    • Ravello to Rome

Ravello Jun 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

What is the best, and easiest way to get from Ravello to Rome?
      Would the train be the best option? Also, what is the closest train station to Ravello?
      Thank you!

more
    • Questions about Sorrento

Sorrento Jul 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM

We are going to Sorrento and then Naples. Is it better to see Mt Vesuvius when we get to Naples? What about Pompei and the Herulaneum?
      Just trying to see as much as we can for the time we are there.

We are traveling from to Sorrento through Naples. I thought it would be easier to take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento. The website for the ferry is in Italian what times do the ferries run and how far is the ferry docking place from the train station?

Thank you
      Debi Gregg

more
    • getting there

Sorrento Jul 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM

what is the best way to get to Sorrento from Florence airport and do you recomend staying in sorrento or amalfi?

more
    • time frame

by DiannR Online Now Jun 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

How much time should I allow for a trip from Naples to Pompeii then to Mt Veusviusm hike to the rim and return to Naples?

1 Answer Jun 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    • raining in Pompeii

by box6983 Online Now Apr 28, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I will be going to Pompeii for the first time this Sunday (Can't change my dates). I have looked at the weather forecast and it is meant to be raining. Will this ruin the experience and should I plan the day any differently?

5 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    • tifftr's Profile Photo

Bus to Mt. Vesuvius?

by tifftr Online Now Apr 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Can I take a bus to Mt. Vesuvius from Pompeii?

1 Answer Apr 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    • AbhinavA's Profile Photo

Pompeii and Naples day trip from Rome, is my Plan possible

by AbhinavA Online Now Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Hi guys

I am planning a day trip from Rome to Pompeii and Naples National Archaeological Museum. I know it will be a stretched day, but we are 2 young guys(23 yrs) and we think we may be able to pull it off. Please review the following plan and help me understand if I may be missing any caveats.

- Take Frecciarossa at 7-35AM from Roma Termini. Reach Naples at 8-45AM.
      - Take the other train to Pompeii Scavi. I believe we would be able to enter the site by 9-45AM? Am I right?
      - Explore Pompeii for about 4-5 hours and leave the site around 2-45 to 3 pm. Is this time too much or too less or appropriate?
      - Take the train back to Naples, Then Take the Metro to the National Museum. Expect to enter the museum around 4-15.
      - Enjoy the museum for a couple of hours (Only stuff related to Pompeii), Leave the Museum before 6-30 PM
      - Reach Da Michele's Pizza from the museum and have a great Napoli Pizza. I hope the waiting should not be much if I reach before 7pm. If the waiting is too much then I could go to Pizzeria Trianon across the street from Da Michelle.
      - After the Pizza feast head back to Napoli centrale and take the Intercity Train to Rome at 8-30pm.

Please give me your thoughts about this and also feel free to shout it out loud if you think this is crazy. :-) :-)

Abhinav

5 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    • Pompeii travel

by tamara_91 Online Now Mar 26, 2014 at 3:33 AM

is a day trip to pompeii possible from rome? we will be travelling with our 10 year old brother
      thanks

3 Answers Mar 26, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    • Possible to travel in one day

by bangles Online Now Nov 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM

I will be in Rome for 1 day only on a cruise ship. How far from Rome is the sea Port? I have been told the port is about an hour from Rome but I am not sure. I would really like to see Pompeii and wondered if it would be possible to hire a car/guide for the day. At this stage I understand the ship will be in port from 7am till 7pm. The people I am travelling with have been to Rome before, but by plane and we would like to know if we do no other sightseeing except Pompeii would it be possible in that timeframe, Thanks for any information

9 Answers Nov 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    • shopping in pompeii

by oceanblue8 Online Now Nov 21, 2013 at 3:15 AM

At the exist of the pompeii excavations there is an eating area opposite with several specialty shops. One of the shops sold a small statue of the dancing faun which I was sorry I did not buy at the time. I would now like to try and get this as it was actually made in Italy - could anyone assist me on how to find the name of the shop?

2 Answers Nov 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    • pompeii streets

by dichaba Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I want to know Pompeii streets names

8 Answers Jan 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    • wendynixon's Profile Photo

Pasha Star hotel

by wendynixon Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Cant see internet access at this hotel and iv already booked lol anyone know of an internet café ner by ?

3 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    • wendynixon's Profile Photo

best place too stay

by wendynixon Online Now Oct 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM

looking at visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum

5 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    • Getting from Sorrento to Pompeii then on to Naples

by dogfoodgirl Online Now Sep 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We'll have duffels and want easily get to Pompeii, spend 4 hours there with a guide then be taken to our next hotel in Naples. Only have quotes from drivers/guides charging ALOT. Any suggestions?

35 Answers Sep 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    • manuna's Profile Photo

Pompeii + Vesuvius

by manuna Online Now May 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I am planning to make a 1 day trip Pompeii+Vesuvius in August. We will go by car and we plan to start rather early, at 8 a.m. I remember that it was very hot in Pompeii when I was there last time. On the one hand going up Vesuvius also can be hot, but on the other it is a little bit colder up there. So the question is ; what should I start with Pompeii or Vesuvius?
      May be there is something else that I should take into account? May be crouds of other tourists coming by bus-excursions? Where they are more likely and at what time?

7 Answers Jan 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    • HazelB12's Profile Photo

pompeii

by HazelB12 Online Now May 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

How much is a ticket into pompeii ruins in june? Thank you.

2 Answers May 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    • day trip from rome

by arttboy Online Now May 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

how to do a day trip from rome?

3 Answers May 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    • Pompeii Ruins open on May 1?

by lbissone33 Online Now Apr 17, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Does anyone know if Pompeii is open on May 1? I plan on visiting that day and don't want to run into any unexpected surprises. Thanks!

9 Answers Apr 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    • Rome to Pompeii

by threetoitaly Online Now Apr 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

We are checking out of our hotel in Rome and taking the train to Pompeii for the day. Is there someplace to store luggage when you tour Pompeii? We are not returning to Rome. What to do with our luggage....? Thank you.

4 Answers Apr 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM
    • Tour Guides in Pompeii ruins

by heather88 Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Can anyone suggest a tour guide or company for the Pompeii ruins? I do not want to take a private tour (as I have done some research and they are quite expensive). I would prefer to use a guide that takes a small group (max 10 people or so). I have searched on Trip Advisor and almost all of the guides are private so I'm running into a wall. I don't want to risk just showing up to the ruins and hoping a group guided tour is available. Thank you!

2 Answers Sep 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    • Circumvesuviana railway to reach Pompei

by GregoryS Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Can anyone tell me if this service is available on a Sunday ? I am planning on taking train from Rome To Naples and then Pompei on a Sunday in April 2013. Are there any restrictions on a Sunday ?

3 Answers Mar 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    • Pompeii tour stop

by heather88 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My husband and I will be traveling by train from Rome to sorrento (with all our luggage in tow). We plan on taking a day trip to Pompeii. Logistically, we would prefer to change trains in Naples (which apparently we have to regardless to get to sorrento) and go to Pompeii on the way. Otherwise we would take a day trip from sorrento which seems like we would be doubling back. Here is the problem: where can we store our luggage if we stop in Pompeii just for the tour and head back to sorrento late afternoon? I would think other travelers have run into this issue as well? We really want to make this work, I appreciate the help!

13 Answers Mar 29, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    • Train from Naples to pompeii

by castlecastle Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Pompeii and I can't seem to obtain a figure for the train fare from Naples to Pompeii. I'm okay of flights, hotel etc

1) Is it because there is no direct line and I need to change?
      2) If there is a direct line, how much is it???
      3) The shuttle bus from Naples Airport to the train station, is it free or is there a charge. If so, how much is it?

Estimated figures will be fine. Thank you!

9 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 2:14 AM
    • seeing pompeii between amalfi and naples

by bgaurora Online Now Apr 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I want to see pompeii and mt. vesuvius between checking out of my hotel in amalfi in the morning and checking into my hotel in naples at the end of the day. otherwise it seems like backtracking. i've read on the forums there is luggage storage at pompeii. what is the best (most efficient) way to see the two sites coming from amalfi and going to naples afterwards. or is it not worth the hassle and should i just go to naples first and then set out again? (feels like backtracking when i look at the map).

Thanks!

9 Answers May 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    • chrissieender's Profile Photo

Pet dog on holiday?

by chrissieender Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Hi, on reading all the notes on Warning and Dangers of Pompeii and the stray dogs that abound there, I am now wondering if anyone can let me know if it would be safe, in their opinion, to have my pet dog with us on a visit there? We are travelling round Europe with our dog for the first time (just retired).

25 Answers Apr 11, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    • Cafe within the Pompeii site

by Charliequestion Online Now Jul 28, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Does anyone know how long the cafe has been located within the Pompeii site.

I visited there a few years ago (2002) and am pretty sure it wasn't there, although we wern't able to spend much time there and I could have missed it.

Thanks

Charlotte

3 Answers Jul 28, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    • lava jewelry at pompeii

by abcwrites Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I purchased earrings from a table by the entrance to the ruins. I was told the irridescent stones were lava. I want to buy more earrings. How can I get in touch with the seller?

4 Answers Mar 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    • Archaeology

by lholliday Online Now Jun 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Can you participate in an active archaeological dig when visiting Pompeii?

6 Answers Jun 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    • ROME TO POMPEII

by wendysworld Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Is the train service from Rome to Naples to Pompeii all included in the Eurail price? Wendy

3 Answers Apr 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    • Storage for suitcases in Pompeii train station

by Denise Online Now Mar 27, 2011 at 9:07 AM

We will be on our way back to Rome from Pompeii, mid-afternoon after checking out of hotel in Sorrento earlier that morning. Is there safe, suitable storage for our suitcases so that we don't have to back track to the hotel to pick them up?

3 Answers Mar 27, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    • Sorrento to Pompeii from cruise ship dock

by Bellagp Online Now Mar 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I will be arriving in Sorrento by cruise ship and want to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum on my own. How do I get from the ship and back?

9 Answers Mar 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    • Pompei train stations

by butterman75 Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Is the Circumvesuviana station, Pompei Scavi, the same train station i would catch an Italia rail regional train to take down to Salerno? If not, what is the name of the station, where is it, and how do i get to it from Scavi?

Thanks!

2 Answers Feb 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    • Pompeii As A Hub

by asaustrup Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Hello Everyone,

I believe will be in Pompei area for 3 or 4 days in May. I want to get a single hotel for the whole time. I plan to visit the Pompeii ruins, Paestum, see some of the coast, and maybe run into Naples to see the museum. On the map Pompeii seems very central to the area and has good train and other transportation connections. Is Pompeii a good place to use as a hub for this kind of visit? I saw some reviews for the B&B 83 and it looks nice. I was in Pompeii in about 1990 and I recall that the town seemed fun and lively outside the archeological ruins.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Arne

11 Answers Mar 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM