Pompeii Travel Answers

change location

Pompei train stations

by butterman75 Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Is the Circumvesuviana station, Pompei Scavi, the same train station i would catch an Italia rail regional train to take down to Salerno? If not, what is the name of the station, where is it, and how do i get to it from Scavi?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • myriam_c's Profile Photo

Re: Pompei train stations

by myriam_c Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM

The station is called 'Pompei'. It's just one station further than Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri. We got there by accident, when we walked out of the archeological site.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Pompei train stations

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM

No. There are two Circumvesuviana stations at Pompei: Scavi and Santuario. The Trenitalia or FS station is at the intersection of Via Sacra and Viale Giuseppe Mazzini on the southern edge of the city center (relax, it's not a big city center - I've walked it in 10 or so minutes).

When you are in the excavations, just see if the gate at Piazza Anfiteatro (the amphitheater) is open. If so, exit here, then head east on the Via Roma then south on the Via Calvacavia. When you cross Viale Giuseppe Mazzini, then train station is just to the left...p.s., I am doing this from reading the map at www.viamichelin.com (go see), but I really did this many years ago, and it's not that much of a hike if you come out the right exit from the ruins...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines