Pompeii Travel Answers

change location

December in Pompeii

by mouratides Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Hi! I'm planning a visit to Pompeii in January. Do you know if some of the mosaics or frescos are covered during the winter meaning that I'll be unable to see them?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: December in Pompeii

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I was there just before Christmas. There were plenty of frescoes to be seen, and i didn't notice any covered.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: December in Pompeii

by leics Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I have visited in winter as well, more than once. Those mosaics/frescoes which remain in situ stay uncovered (most really important ones have been taken to museums such as the Archaeological Museum in Naples). Last time I visited it was cold enough for sleet/snow and no extra precautions were being taken.

Quite a lot of the in-situ graffiti and internal frescoes are permanently covered by perspex.

However, you should be aware that not all houses in Pompeii are always open. You may well find that houses you had intended to visit are closed, either for restoration or preservation or simply because limiting the number of visitors is a good way of preserving such sites. You will, of course, still be able to visit many, many places in Pompeii.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines