Pompeii Travel Answers

change location

trip to pomeii

by gaynorm Online Now Jul 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM

We are staying in Maiori next week and are planing a trip to Pompeii. Could anyone advise us as to wheter we should book a guide with our holiday rep or make our own way there? Also how to get there from Maiori would be helpful. Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: trip to pomeii

by leics Online Now Jul 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Having looked at where exactly Maiori is, you might be better off going on an orgnised tour.

However, if you want to travel independently you'll need to get to Sorrento. Taking the bus from Amalfi seems the only feasible option (the journey is wonderful, takes about an hour) unless you want to pay for a taxi all the way.

Then you can get the frequent Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento station (you can catch the Amalfi bus there o the way back too). The train journey takes about 30 minutes, and the station (Pompeii Scavi) is more-or-less directly opposite the site entrance.

Circumvesuviana timetables here:

vesuviana.it/Reteeorari/Ferr... (linea Napoli-Sorrento).

Amalfi>Sorrento bus here:

sitabus.it/wps/portal/OrariC...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: trip to pomeii

by hawkhead Online Now Jul 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Following on from Leics reply, I add my two cents worth..... regarding the tour booked through your tour rep, how long willyou have in Pompeii? Depending on your interest, you should ask yourself if this is long enough. Mind you, if you do the trip independently, you might only have the same amount of time when you consider the length of the trip in total, together with connection times and so on. At least the tour will get you there and back but if you are only going to have an hour or so on the site, then you can manage to have more time if you plan the trip yourself. We were there in February and the site was very quiet. However, at this time of year I should imagine it will be busy, there will be lots of people and it will take you much longer to move around. The leaflet that you are given when you buy an audio guide (recommended) outlines routes 2,3,5 and 7 hour visits. Taking a medium view, I would think that 4 hours would give you a good overall visit, without having to rush around. Don't forget to take water, and if you can, something to eat so that you don't have to rely on the cafe.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines