Pompeii Travel Answers

change location

English tours of Pompeii

by hkahan Online Now May 13, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Hi,we will be visiting Pompeii this summer and will only be there for one day on a Sunday. I've read that there are English speaking guides at the entrance for hire. Does anyone know if they are there on Sunday, or if it necessary to book them in advance? Thank you,
Heather

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: English tours of Pompeii

by leics Online Now May 13, 2007 at 1:49 PM

You can get an audio guide; just as good, I suspect:

www2.pompeiisites.org/Databa...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lacristina's Profile Photo

Re: English tours of Pompeii

by Lacristina Online Now May 13, 2007 at 9:00 PM

The tour guides are there every day.

But to be more sure of getting a tour relatively soon upon arriving, best to arrive early in the morning. Besides, Pompei can be very, very hot in the summer without almost any shade. So bring water and a sun hat and sunscreen. You can buy water outside of the site at any of the small cafes between the train station and entrance.

The tour guides all know the train schedules. There's a train from Rome at 7:30 a.m . which allows you to catch the 9:11 train to Pompeii from Naples. So they're usually waiting for folks on this train which arrives around 9:45.

The tour guides try to create a group of 8 to 10 people, lowering the cost to each individual. When they get the full compliment (around 10-12 people) the cost is very reasonable. Around 10-12 euros as I recall.

Pompeii is great and you'll have a wonderful time. In my opinion, unless you've done a lot of homework, and know exactly what you want to see, one of these on site tour guides is a good investment. The tour lasts two hours, and afterward, you can wander at your leisure.

One thing they don't usually show you is the Garden of the Refugees. It's worth looking for on your own.

Cristina

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines