Pompeii Travel Answers

change location
midwesttrvlr's Profile Photo

Rome to Pompei?

by midwesttrvlr Online Now Jul 11, 2006 at 1:06 PM

My husband and I are traveling to Italy for 16 days in September and would love to take a day trip to see the ruins of Pompeii - is this possible? Is this possible and is the train the best and easiest way to get there - how long of a train ride is it?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: Rome to Pompei?

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 11, 2006 at 1:15 PM

If you will search the forums here, you will find that this question is frequently asked and answered.

In a nutshell, the answer is "yes, it is possible, but it makes for a long day". Have a look at some of the previous threads. To do so, you might look at the Pompei forum, or do a search in the Rome forum for the word "Pompei" or "day trip"...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marie&ariel's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Rome to Pompei?

by marie&ariel Online Now Jul 11, 2006 at 1:30 PM

As Bill said, you will find very specific answers to your question. You can certainly do it by train in one day as you are planning but keep in mind that walking in the city of Pompei will require 4 hours minimum.
    The train exit is very very close to the entry to the ruins. You will do all of your walking touring the ruins. Wear comfortable shoes...I would even recommend no sandals. You are walking in paved streets full of dirt. This is all so worth it...you will love the experience.
    Also, I recommend the Rick Steve’s 06 Italy guide. It became my 'bible' during my honeymoon a month ago.
    ENJOY!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines