Pompeii Travel Answers

change location

Help with train travel to Pompeii/Sorrento

by sparks389 Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 9:29 AM

We will be taking the train in 2 weeks from Rome to Naples & then on to Sorrento for one night so that we can spend a day at Pompeii. Our problem is trying to figure out whether to stop in Pompeii on the way there & catch the train to Sorrento afterwards or go straight to Sorrento, stay the night & stop in Pompeii on the way back. We will only have a very small bag that we can place in a locker at Pompeii if needed. We were not sure if catching trains without a definite time schedule would be a problem. I know we want to spend most of the day in Pompeii and I am presuming that I will need to book the trip back before we leave Rome. Thanks a bunch!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bratsch's Profile Photo

RE: Help with train travel to Pompeii/Sorrento

by bratsch Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 2:43 PM

It's absolutely not a problem if you want to visit Pompei on your way to Sorrento. The train from Naples is not the state railway (FS) but the Circumvesuviana, whose terminal station is 200 yards from the main station, but the trains stop also at the main station (Garibaldi) on the lower level. There are trains every 30 minutes or so. You can leave your luggage in Pompei at the entrance to the site. You will need most of a day for the visit. Enjoy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines