Pompeii Travel Answers

change location

Pompeii tour stop

by heather88 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My husband and I will be traveling by train from Rome to sorrento (with all our luggage in tow). We plan on taking a day trip to Pompeii. Logistically, we would prefer to change trains in Naples (which apparently we have to regardless to get to sorrento) and go to Pompeii on the way. Otherwise we would take a day trip from sorrento which seems like we would be doubling back. Here is the problem: where can we store our luggage if we stop in Pompeii just for the tour and head back to sorrento late afternoon? I would think other travelers have run into this issue as well? We really want to make this work, I appreciate the help!

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • basstbn's Profile Photo

Re: Pompeii tour stop

by basstbn Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

We went on to Sorrento where we would be staying for five nights, then did Pompeii as a day trip. That worked perfectly! Unless you are only spending one night in lovely, charming Sorrento, I would recommend doing the same. Remember, it's a very short trip from Sorrento back to Pompeii - not a major trip.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

There is luggage storage at the Pompeii Scavi site at the Porta Marina entrance, outside the entrance gate.

I'll double-check but I don't think that's changed since last I looked into it.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Just to confirm, the info I gave you is correct. You may reference this website for info about visiting the ruins:

pompeiturismo.it/index.php?o...">pompeiturismo.it/index.php?o...

by goodfish Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Sorry - looks like we're still having some issues posting live links! Click on the SECOND of the two (the one that stats with >pompei....) which show up in my previous post, OK?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yes, there is certainly luggage storage at the Pompeii Scavi Viilla dei Mysteri (the Circumvesuviana railway station, which you'll use from Naples) .

But Pompeii really deserves at least 2-3 hours (it's a vast site) and it is much, much better seen with as few crowds as possible. So I suggest you do make it into a separate daytrip from Sorrento, getting there as early as you can...the site opens at 0830...and combining it with either Herculaneuam (10 mins walk from Ercolano station, about 10 minutes further towards Naples): Herculaneum is an *entirely* different experience, being much smaller and preserved in quite a different way (engulfed by a mud-flow, so organics were preserved).

Or you could combine Pompeii with a trip into Naples for the excellent National Archaeological museum (where you will find the artefacts from the Pompeii sites) and the unique, and stunning, Cappella Sansevero.

Or with Oplontis/Villa Poppaea, 5 mins walk from Torre Annunziata railway station (a little further towards Naples).

Or, if you fancied more walking, combine Pompeii with Castellamare di Stabia (two barely-visited and exquisitely-decorated Roman villas set high on what was the original coastline before the eruption).

Or with Pozzuoli, where you can enter the Solfatara crater, complete with continually-erupting steam vents and pools of bubbling mud.. and see some Roman remains as well.

It's not really a matter of doubling-back at all: more a matter of not having time to see everything! :-)

I have VT pages with more info about all the places I've mentioned above

• Re: Pompeii tour stop

by heather88 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thank you for all the tips! I think we would be interested in seeing Pozzuoli- the solfatara crater sounds neat. Is this walk able from Pompeii? Would we need a tour guide, etc?
    If we stored luggage, we would take a very early train into pompeii from Rome and allocate all afternoon to see the ruins.
    we plan on participating in a tour group regardless. if you have any particular tour companies you could recommend that would be helpful!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

No, sorry, you can't walk to Pozzuoli as it's west of Naples: Pompeii is to the southeast so they're some distance apart.

We explored the scavi on our own, and spent the better part of a day there so I'm no help for tours either.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM

You certainly don't need a tour guide but no...you can't just walk there from Pompeii (or Naples, come to that) which is why I suggested it as part of a daytrip from Sorrento (i.e. not 'backtracking but making a full daytrip).

You need to take the Circumvesuviana to Napoli Garibaldi then the Metropolitana to Pozzuoli from the adjoining station (not Napoli Centrale, another one..there are 3 in the same structure).

The Solfatara is certainly impressive (at least, to someone who has no experience of active volcanic landscapes!):

"A volcanic experience" - Pozzuoli by leics

If you are set on taking a tour then there are always private guides hanging round outside Pompeii entrance and the entrance area (not free, obviously) and several if you google 'pompeii private tour'. This one has good reviews on Tripadvisor:

http://www.toursofpompeii.com/

but there are plenty of others.

I am not aware of any 'group tours' which originate on the site itself. I've visited the area three times over recent years and what tours (group and private) are on offer locally, as far as I can recall, always include transport to and from the site and, usually, a visit to at least one other site (e.g. Herculaneum or Vesuvius).

by ericasox Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

heather88: Too funny, my husband and I are trying to figure out the EXACT same problem. Try to go on our way to Sorrento from Rome with luggage, or have to take a day trip! We are travelling in early May...when are you going? Do you think the luggage will be safe in the Pompeii storage area? Anyone else on this thread- what is the luggage storage like in Italy in general? Thanks!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I haven't used the luggage storage there but I'm sure it's safe: tons of travelers have used it.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yes, it is safe. It's run as part of the site...not just lockers but a proper luggage storage place. They don't want people hoicking wheeled suitcases and backpacks through a unique archaeological site, after all!. It'll be fine. :-)

by heather88 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM

ericasox wrote:
    heather88: Too funny, my husband and I are trying to figure out the EXACT same problem. Try to go on our way to Sorrento from Rome with luggage, or have to take a day trip! We are travelling in early May...when are you going? Do you think the luggage will be safe in the Pompeii storage area? Anyone else on this thread- what is the luggage storage like in Italy in general? Thanks!

Hi, Erica! We are traveling from Houston to Italy from May 3rd- May 18th. We will be in the Sorrento/Capri area the last leg of our trip (May 15-17th). We actually decided to make a half day trip back to Pompeil from Sorrento. A good amount responded that we should just take a quick train ride to Pompeii  instead of stopping on our way from Rome. I was a little worried as well about how big thier storage area is (let's face it- I will have a big suitcase to worry about!).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 4:02 AM

The Pompeii luggage storage facility is well-used to dealing with large suitcases, backpacks etc so there is no need to be concerned. And of course it will be safe. Given the hundreds of thousands of visitors Pompeii gets every year the storage facility would not last long if it was not safe!

Equally, the luggage storage facilities (staffed) at Italian railway stations are well-used to dealing with large suitcases. And ditto re safety: they would not exist if they were not safe. You'll find them at all large Italian railway stations and at some smaller, tourist-popular ones (e.g. Pisa) too. Info about facilities at the larger stations here:

grandistazioni.it/cms/v/inde...

But as you are staying in Sorrento it makes much more sense to me to make a proper visit from Sorrento rather than arrive sweaty and tired from travelling, with huge suitcase in tow and ...probably...a desire to get to your Sorrento hotel and chill out a bit. So make a trip from Sorrento ...try to get to Pompeii as early as you can. Don't miss out Herculaneum (Ercolano station, about 10 mins further towards Naples on the same line). It is an absolutely and entirely different experience.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines