Poland Travel Answers

change location

study Polish

by david.terry Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Hi, i have a question.
I would like to get to know a Polish language.
How long i would learn this and speak good ?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: study Polish

by leics Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:17 AM

No-one can tell you how long it will take you to be good at another language. It entirely depends on your own abilities, your own native language, how much effort you put into your learning and how much practice you get (preferably with a native Polish speaker).

I would guess most people take around a year to become adequately competent in a new language, although the process is much quicker if you are actually living in a place where the language is spoken all the time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tayloretc's Profile Photo

by tayloretc Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM

What leics said :)

Polish has a couple of things that make it extra tough - complex declension, and difficult pronounciation. If you have a really good ear and love memorizing grammar tables, it'll be easier.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

To some extent it really depends on what you mean by "learn a language". As was mentioned before, it depends on a great many things, but most of all the time and effort you put into it.

My wife became fluent in French after spending 9 months in Brussels, going to school there, but had a basis of high school French and a couple of years of university level French before she went. She also picked up a pretty decent working level of German while there and in fact often puts me to shame.

My daughter studied Japanese for 4 years for 1/2 day every Saturday for four years and then went to school in Japan for most of a year and came back with a fairly good level of Japanese, but certainly not something she considered fluent (she also is fluent in French, as all of her primary schooling and around half of her high school was in French).

So, it does take some time, but goes a lot faster if you already speak another language and spend time living in a place where the language is spoken, it will still take a long time (i.e. the better part of a year).

• zaffaran's Profile Photo

by zaffaran Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM

OK, why don't you give it a try?
    http://www.oneness.vu.lt/pl/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Poland Travel Answer Locations