Poipu Travel Answers

change location

Kauai over Maui?

by KimNTennessee Online Now Mar 15, 2004 at 7:28 AM

We are torn over which Island to spend our vacation on with an 11 and 13 year old? Which Island would you recommend? Thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Re: Kauai over Maui?

by mydreamquest Online Now Mar 15, 2004 at 9:18 AM

I'd go to Maui. It's got some beautiful scenic rides; an incredible volcano (Mt. Haleakula); and many great shows and things to see and places to eat at night. Kaui, I'd recommend going there only after you've been to the Big Island and Maui. However, if you want more isolation and a more relaxing pace of life, Kaui is probably a better choice than Maui.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Kauai over Maui?

by Hexepatty Online Now Mar 15, 2004 at 9:54 AM

Kauai: Most mature (oldest) island in populated Hawaiian Chain.... It's the most beautiful. Beaches aren't that great (for swimming that is...) TONS of outdoor activities... Hiking, sightseeing, etc. That said, however, the place rolls up it's sidewalks around 6PM. Just not lots to do. GREAT island if you are into trekking and catching tons of sleep. Maui: almost as diverse as the Big Island and has things to do... places stay up late. * * * Go to Maui.... No doubt in mind mind... Hana hou! patty

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

by karenincalifornia Online Now Mar 16, 2004 at 3:00 PM

Kauai! We've taken our kids to both Maui and Kauai. Ages at Maui were 9 and 11, ages at Kauai were 11 and 13, just like yours. They really enjoyed both, but both will say even now that they loved Kauai better. Kauai is smaller and has diverse terrain so it is much easier to see a good part of the Island. We thought Kauai had better snorkeling and more spots right from the beach. The cruise along the Na Pali coast was a blast and we snorkeled from the boat. Waimea Canyon was beautiful - we took a beautiful hike. My kids loved the chickens an roosters. We had a nicer beach at Kauai (Hanalei Bay) - but Poipu is nice too. We kayaked up and down the Hanalei River. Maui is more developed. The volcano was fun to visit. We enjoyed Maui, too, but Kauai was like a dream.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

by Hexepatty Online Now Mar 17, 2004 at 5:21 AM

Hey Ms Kauai! Okay, Okay... I spent a year in one weekend in Kauai. It was so pretty and peaceful I almost swam to Oahu. It is the most PRETTY of the islands. I Just find it too.... PRETTY. And I'll admit, there are some nice beaches, but my favorite one is the Hidden Beach near Kilauea Lighthouse. It's a Nudist beach... and I ain't gonna be tellin' folks about that beach. It's HIDDEN after all! ; ) love ya James... p

• rossandkelli's Profile Photo

Re: Kauai over Maui?

by rossandkelli Online Now Mar 17, 2004 at 11:25 AM

Maui! Kauai is beautiful but could get boring for kids. I'd say stay on Maui and take an inter-island flight to Kaui for a day or two.

• clws's Profile Photo

by clws Online Now Mar 22, 2004 at 4:50 PM

I would have to say Kauai as well! I have visited Kauai, Maui, Oahu, and The Big Island. We are planning on taking our 5 children to Hawaii in a couple of years. And Kauai will be where we will be going. If we can get away for a little longer, we may stop over at The Big Island for the volcano's. But Kauai is my first choice for children. There is so much to offer there and it is more layed back and relaxed, yet plenty to do and see! The canyon, beautiful beaches, and a lot of nice calm ones to teach them to snorkle! Beautiful mountains and so lush and beautiful! A lot of nice hikes to take as well! Cindy

• Erin74's Profile Photo

by Erin74 Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 1:12 PM

I would go to Maui if you're traveling with children. Maui is wonderful because there's lots to see and do... but still plenty of natural beauty to enjoy. There are tons of activities, water sports, shows and events for your children to take part in on Maui. If you'd like to see some of the things you can do there, check out my Maui page. I've listed the things we really enjoyed doing on the island. Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines