Poipu Travel Answers

change location
sandy5's Profile Photo

Popoi??

by sandy5 Online Now Jan 18, 2004 at 10:40 AM

I am going to Kauai for the 1st time in May. I have been to Maui before and loved it. I have heard how nice Kauai is and presently looking through brochures and internet sites to find out about where to stay. I think I have it narrowed down to Poipu and maybe the Sheraton. Where are most of the restaraunts and things to do. Otherwords what would be the heart of the island if any?I understand there is more chance for sunshine on the south side of the island which is something I want. Also I plan on playing golf there. Thanks

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Popoi??

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 28, 2004 at 11:53 AM

Poipu is wonderful, and yes it is sunnier than the north side. Even so, Hanalei on the north side is my favorite part of the island because of its beauty. But, you can't go wrong in Poipu and you will have a wonderful vacation. I played golf at the course at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu. It is one of the most beautiful courses I have played on. As far as restaurants, if you aren't traveling on a budget, try the Beach House in Poipu. We loved it! You get to watch the surfers and sunset from the large windows. That's the heart of Hawaii! Karen

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sandy5's Profile Photo

by sandy5 Online Now Jan 30, 2004 at 1:11 PM

Thanks Karen and Aloha Trance, I will be playing golf probably only one day during my stay. Which one would you choose if you could only play one. Also you suggested a nice place to eat. Anymore?

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 30, 2004 at 1:23 PM

If I had only one day for golf on Kauai, I would go back to the course at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu. I can recommend a few more good restaurants, but only if you would be in Hanalei. That's where we stayed. We went down to Poipu for one day and ate at the Beach House, so that's the only one there I can recommend. Let me know if you're planning to go up to the north shore and I'll give you names of my favorites in Hanalei. Karen

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 30, 2004 at 4:22 PM

Haha, AlohaTrance! I was not so great and I still got to play there! >>I second the Hyatt Regency golf course. Its where the greats play when they come to Hawaii It's a challenging course, but it was not crowded, and the views are some of the best you'll find on any course. I agree with AlohaTrance - it is worth the price.

• sandy5's Profile Photo

by sandy5 Online Now Jan 31, 2004 at 6:07 AM

Thanks again...both of you. I am sure we will go to the north side of the island so any good places to eat would be appreciated. George

by karenincalifornia Online Now Jan 31, 2004 at 8:42 AM

Ok, here you go... Zelo's Beach House in Ching Young Village (my favorite!) Hanalei Mix Plate also in Ching Young Village (great for a casual lunch) Sushi Blue in Hanalei Village Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant And of course there is Bubba's Burgers and Wishing Well Shave Ice Hanalei is a tiny town and all of these places are within walking distance. So just find a place to park your car and explore! We also rented kayaks near the Hanalei Dolphin and went kayaking up the Hanalei River. That's a beautiful excursion. Word of warning -- we took the kayaks into Hanalei Bay. They tell you that if you go into the Bay you need to keep close to shore. The Bay looked so calm in summer, my daughter and I kayaked toward the middle of the Bay. Looks are deceiving. We got caught in a current that started carrying us out to sea. I had visions of the Coast Guard coming out to rescue us. It took all of our might to get back to shore. We did, but it was a huge amount of work. Karen

• sandy5's Profile Photo

by sandy5 Online Now Jan 31, 2004 at 2:42 PM

Thanks again, Thanks for the tips. Sounds like you really like it there. I really like Maui but just wanted to try something different. I am sure I will like Kauai too. I can't wait! By the way we got airfare out of Orange County through Aloha real cheap compared to all others for310 and I noticed today it is293. So if you are going or know anyone else going this year, now is the time to get airfare. I can't believe how cheap it is compared to all the other airlines George

• SarahD47's Profile Photo

Re: Popoi??

by SarahD47 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Poipu is nice. I like to stay in vacation rentals. Have you seen http://www.poipugetaway.com as an option?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines