Plymouth Travel Answers

change location
oslocairo's Profile Photo

public transportation to plimouth plantation fro central Boston

by oslocairo Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Hi!

How can I get to Plimouth plantation by public transportation? I will be traveling from central Boston. I am traveling alone so don't want to use a taxi. I understand there is a trolly from Plymouth, but I will be going in May and think the trolly is not available then.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • tayloretc's Profile Photo

Re: public transportation to plimouth plantation fro central Boston

by tayloretc Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Regular public transportation doesn't take you all the way to Plimouth Plantation, but it gets you pretty close. The Plimouth Plantation site outlines what's available: plimoth.org/plan-your-visit/...

I think the trolley you mention is this one: http://www.p-b.com/ahs.html. That's a hop-on/hop-off trolley in Plymouth itself, so you'd still need to get between Boston and Plymouth. You're right that the trolley wouldn't be running in May.

So, you're going to have to take either the bus or train to Plymouth, and then get a taxi between the station and the plantation. It's tough to say which is better - road traffic south of Boston is notoriously bad, but there aren't many time options by train. Make sure to take a cell phone or arrange a pickup at Plimouth Plantation for after, so you don't end up stranded there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

MBTA commuter rail to from South Station to Plymouth is very spotty, with only 3 trains per day on weekdays, and no service at all on weekends. The last returning train from Plymouth is at 2:28 PM. There's slightly more frequent service to nearby Halifax, so I suppose you could try to take a taxi to/from there. The Plymouth and Brockton Street Railway Company runs bus (not streetcar) service between Boston Bus Terminal (near South Station) and Plymouth.

See http://p-b.com/week-fromBos.html for timetable details.

• oslocairo's Profile Photo

by oslocairo Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the spotty transportation. You'd think it would be more tourist friendly. Oh well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines