Plovdiv Travel Answers

change location

Plovdiv - Sofia by bus

by caucl001 Online Now Aug 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I intend visiting Plovdiv early next week and would be staying there for a week. I am staying at the Leipzig Hotel situated at 70 Russki Blvd. During my stay I intend visiting Sofia, and wish to enquire from where I should take the bus as well as the time schedule from Plovdiv to Sofia and back. Can you buy a return ticket for both ways?

I have read on some reviews that you buy tickets from the bus station but the destinations are written in Bulgarian. How would I know that I am boarding the right bus and buying the ticket from the right booth?

Is my hotel far from the Old part of Plovdiv or is it at walking distance?

Thanks in advance.

Lawrence

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Re: Plovdiv - Sofia by bus

by johngayton Online Now Aug 30, 2011 at 8:32 AM

There are very regular buses between Ploovdiv and Sofia which leave from the Avtogara Yug (South) bus station, located almost opposite the train station. Services are run by several companies but all tickets can be bought at the ticket office in the bus station. You can buy a return ticket but note that that will only be usuable with the specific company. I think most of the Sofia buses leave from the main road in front of the bus station and should have no problems identifying the word Sofia in Cyrillic.

Personally I prefer the train, which is cheaper and just as quick (on most services) and a return ticket saves about 30% as opposed to two singles.

Your hotel is located about a 10/15 minute walk from the old city - go up Russki Blvd (away from the train station) and hang right.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Plovdiv - Sofia by bus

by caucl001 Online Now Aug 31, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Thanks for your helpful information.

• mirchica's Profile Photo

Re: Plovdiv - Sofia by bus

by mirchica Online Now Sep 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Just to add what John said - buses are on every hour from 6am to 8pm(both ways) and they are about 16-17 times a day because in the peak moments there are buses on half an hour(ask in the hotel to check for the time that most suits you). And already buses stop IN the bus station not in front of it. But you'll have no problems with recognizing. They stop usually in the first 3 sectors and Sofia in cyrilic(if it's not written with latin letters) is СОФИЯ. You can buy a return ticket too but I guess there is not a big difference in the price and I'm not sure if you have to attest your ticket in Sofia or not. The price is 12-14 leva one way.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Plovdiv