Plitvicka Jezera National Park Travel Answers

change location

Can I get from Trogir/Split to Plitvice by Train

by PaulAndYvonne Online Now May 25, 2006 at 3:32 AM

All the travel guides I have read mention the bus a THE way to get to Plitvice. We are travellin from Trogir to Plitvice, staying 2 nights then on to Zagreb. Looking on a map it seems to be a more direct route to take the train. Is there a problem with this? What is the nearest sation to the Park? How would we get from the station to the national park? OR Is it really better to travel to Zadar first then on to Plitvice by bus? It seems to be a lot further

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • diocletianvs's Profile Photo

RE: Can I get from Trogir/Split to Plitvice by Train

by diocletianvs Online Now May 25, 2006 at 4:45 AM

> Looking on a map it seems to be a more direct route to take the train. Is there a problem with this?
    Hmmm... Does your map show both the railroad AND the land elevation?

> What is the nearest sation to the Park?
    Vrhovine - Plitvicka jezera

> How would we get from the station to the national park?
    No idea. ICN trains don't even stop here. Night trains might stop, but you'll end up in the middle of nowhere with 1279-metres high mountain between you and the main entrance to the park.

> OR Is it really better to travel to Zadar first then on to Plitvice by bus?
    It is definitely better to travel by bus. You can also take buses that leave from Split. Just make sure that you don't take any of the buses that go between Split and Zagreb using the new highway.
    From Split, still approximately half of the buses take the old road which passes through the park. I think most buses from Zadar are now taking the new highway which does NOT pass through the park. Possibly there are even buses from Trogir to Plitvice - you should ask at the local bus station.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Plitvicka Jezera National Park