Travel Answers
Pleterje

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Bee Panels / Panjska koncnica for purchase.

Slovenia Sep 12, 2014 at 7:34 AM

We will be in Slovenia 28-31 October 2014 and are interested in purchasing Bee Panels / Panjska koncnica. This late in the tourist season to you have any suggestions on where to purchase these or someone to contact?

Thank you

Margo

more
    • rbdoshi's Profile Photo

Souveneir suggestions

Ljubljana Sep 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM

Any suggestions for what to but and where in Ljubljana for family back home? Anything from some unique sweets/food items to art piece would work. Not looking for something super expensive.

Thanks!!

more
    • scuyler's Profile Photo

Piran parking and Vrt Kaktusov (Cactus Garden)/Secovlejske Salt Park

Slovenia Sep 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Hi VTers,
      Would someone be able to provide me either street addresses or GPS coordinates for Garage Arze and Garage Fornace? We will be driving from Porec for the day.

Also wanted to know your thoughts on the Vrt Kaktusov and the Secovlejske Salt Park? I don't think I want to commit to the guided tour at the Salt Park, so is it worthwhile to wander around on one's own? Thanks so much!

more
    • travel to Piran from libujana

Slovenia Aug 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM

is it worth making the trip from libujana to piran in one day?what is the best mode of travel to and from libujana to piran on the same day?

more
    • Is it worth visiting arboretum in august?

Ljubljana Aug 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM

We want to go to visit arboretum now in august but wondering if theree are many flowers and decorations now.
      We heard that during this winter all had gone.
      is it worth going?

more
    • Anyone else had an issue at the Slovenia/Croatia train border crossing?

Slovenia Aug 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I'm a solo female traveler who took the train from Vienna, Austria to Zagreb, Croatia (via Slovenia) this past Sunday, 17 August, and had an incident with the Slovenian or Croatian border police. The train got to the crossing around 22:40 and the border police walked on. One male officer came through, said "hello," briefly looked at my passport, stamped it, thanked me and went on. A few minutes later, a female officer and a different male officer came through, asked me if I was a tourist, where I'd been and when I got to Europe. I replied that I was a tourist, had been to Iceland, England, Scotland, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and Poland and was on my way to Split, Croatia, as well as having arrived in Iceland on 3 June of this year.

She asked if I knew how long a Schengen Visa was good for (I didn't know exactly off the top of my head because I knew before I left that I wouldn't come close to hitting the limits.) She told me "90 days" and went on to tell me that I had overstayed and would have to pay a €500 fine. In the moment, I didn't think to do the math and since I didn't know what the Schengen criteria was, I simply apologized and asked what my options were. She told me that I would have to get off the train and fly back to the United States immediately or I could pay the fine and she would "allow" me to go to Croatia but I would have to fly out from there and if I tried to return within six months, I'd be denied entry.

In my head, I knew I'd contact the US Embassy as soon as they opened the next morning because I hoped there'd be some other option. I told her I'd pay the fine and continue on. Because I didn't have any cash, I got went to get my credit card to pay and as I did, she continued to aggressively tell me that I had to leave Europe immediately and asked if I understood. I told her that I completely understood and pulled out my card. She stamped my passport, told me it was my lucky night and walked away.

After immediately calling a well-traveled friend and asking him what he knew about the Schengen Visa and both of us doing some research, at the time this occurred, I hadn't even been in Europe for 90 days and had actually only been with the Schengen Zone for less than three weeks (the actual restrictions are 90 cumulative days in the Schengen Zone within a 180 day period.) After looking at my passport and, based on the stamps, I think the first man who went through was Croatian police and his entire stamp (including badge ID #) was perfectly stamped. The stamp from the woman who gave me a hard time was a Slovenian officer and she conveniently placed her stamp so only the top half is on the passport page (meaning her ID number is nowhere to be found.)

I feel like there were just too many things off about that situation and it was really lucky that I didn't have any cash on me. I'm sure I wouldn't have been issued a receipt and I also wouldn't have any way to identify her without the number. So my word against the border police...I'd be out €500.

LONG story-short, has anyone else had a similar encounter or been aware of corruption like this recently with the Slovenian or Croatian border police?

more