Playa del Carmen

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Which all inclusive to stay at?

by Msundt Online Now 22 hours ago

Help, I have been researching all inclusive resorts all day in Playa Del Carmen and I am still not sure where to stay. My husband and I are going in October. We want to be around other people and have fun, but want alone time too. We would like to stay where it is tropical and has a Caribbean flavor. We are on a budget but could probably splurge some to stay in a nice resort. We are in our early 50's so were not really into kids. We would like to go into town and if its within walking distance that would be nice, but not a requirement. My husband likes to dive and I like to snorkel. Any suggestions?

more
    • Which all inclusive to stay at?

by Msundt Online Now 22 hours ago

Help, I have been researching all inclusive resorts all day in Playa Del Carmen and I am still not sure where to stay. My husband and I are going in October. We want to be around other people and have fun, but want alone time too. We would like to stay where it is tropical and has a Caribbean flavor. We are on a budget but could probably splurge some to stay in a nice resort. We are in our early 50's so were not really into kids. We would like to go into town and if its within walking distance that would be nice, but not a requirement. My husband likes to dive and I like to snorkel. Any suggestions?

2 Answers 3 hours ago
    • Local Culture

by superthereso Online Now Feb 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Are there any "non-touristy" things to do to experience the culture of the area? Maybe something like a market; much like a farmers market. Things that the locals do on a regular basis.

5 Answers Mar 22, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    • Airbnb playa del carmen

by mattswanson022 Online Now Feb 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Moving to playa the end of April and interested in leasing condos/apartments on Airbnb for some supplemental income. Does anyone have any experience you can share?

• Paddle boards

by lovesmybeach Online Now Jan 4, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Hello. Can you rent and ride paddle boards? Are rentals available on the beach near resorts?

2 Answers Jan 10, 2015 at 6:40 PM
    • snorkeling photo Review

by skubalk Online Now Dec 14, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Hey!

Looking to buy a Underwater Camera for Snorkeling Camera. But When i check these review its very Confusing,.. Any Expert Can Suggest me a Cheap and Best Camera?

6 Answers Jan 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    • Beach bar near the cozumel ferry

by J.W. Online Now Dec 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Where is a good place to rent a chair / table right on the beach that has good food and drinks?

3 Answers Dec 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    • danbragg's Profile Photo

Casa Melissa Hotel

by danbragg Online Now Nov 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM

how is the Casa Melissa hotel and where is it?

3 Answers Nov 2, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    • PatriciaL15's Profile Photo

Buses or Rental Car

by PatriciaL15 Online Now Sep 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Lately we have heard some horror stories regarding rental cars in this area of Mexico. Although we know there are many visitors that use rental cars without incident we were wondering if we should just stick to the buses instead. Any advice or personal experiences would be appreciated.

6 Answers Dec 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    • VISA Pictures

by newplayanative Online Now Sep 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Does anyone know where I can get VISA pics taken in Playa?

3 Answers Nov 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    • Why do you people leave the USA in the first place?

by tanstaafl72555 Online Now Sep 14, 2014 at 6:36 AM

I stumbled on this forum for travel and as I scrolled through the comments I thought "why do these people bother to visit?" I find most of you to be whiny, privileged, spoiled, complaining people who will not be satisfied with anything short of taking a slice of USA and plopping it down in some third world country. This is clearly a very very close thing to what 5th ave in PDC has done, and you do nothing but gripe.

Let me give you a clue. PDC fifth is a glittering tourist trap designed to appeal to wealthy westerners (mostly Americans), and separate you from your money as rapidly as possible. It is NOT designed to give you a "taste of Mexico" but rather to isolate you from Mexico as much as possible.... think Boca Raton where the service industry all speak poor English and hawk overpriced giltzy souvenirs so you can hang on your wall or wear to show you are a world traveler.
      The people here despise you, but they need your money. They have contempt for you, even as they grovel. You can get over that, if you treat them kindly,with respect, and ask them questions about their lives. They are often very eager to practice English (I am teaching English to some of them here). Mexican people are, in general, some of the most kind and accommodating and friendliest people in the world.
      PDC is a perfect example of giving you what YOU want, which is small overpriced (CRAZY overpriced!!) refuge where you can indulge in an alcohol soaked binge of self indulgence, complete with sexual fantasies (they import girls from Eastern Europe who are functionally human slaves to perform whatever degraded acts rich perverts want) and drugs (they are sold openly on fifth). These, of course, draw in the crime syndicates, and the Zetas rule the strip, extorting "protection" money and wantonly killing any honest Mexican businessman who tries to resist, controlling both the drug trade and the sex industry..... and providing you a chance to "tsk tsk" at the horrible corruption and violence endemic to Mexico and to bless your lucky stars you don't have to live in such a filthy nasty place....., right.
      So, my advice to most of you is, STAY HOME. As bad as Mexico needs the tourist dollars, the crap you bring with you is actually more destructive than the poverty.

OTOH, if you want a paradise of beach escape, complete with a chance to mingle with a class of Mexicans who are relatively wealthy and sophisticated compared to the rest of Mexico, a chance to expand past the small world of mall shopping and pre packaged life in the USA, a chance to meet people from all over the world, a chance to practice (or learn) a bit of Spanish, and a chance to take home true treasures (memories of some wonderful people), then check your ego, privilege, and snootiness at the USA airport and come on down. It can be a beautiful place.

• Weather in September - rain?

by ginabea Online Now Sep 5, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Hi we're planning a trip to Playa the last week of September but the weather report says rain, rain, rain. Can someone there please tell me how bad is the rain? We have 2 little kids and the last thing we want is to be stuck in a hotel! Please advise.

Thank you,
      Gina

3 Answers Dec 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    • Resorts with Best Beach

by koolmom3 Online Now Aug 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM

We're planning a trip in March to Playa and want to stay in a resort with the nicest / longest beach for leisurely walks. Any suggestions?

1 Answer Nov 10, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    • How to answer the local shop owners?

by bluebeard1 Online Now Aug 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM

My wife & I vacation in Playa del Carmen 2 weeks every September. Works into our business schedule plus it is a quiet time of the year. We stay at two different resorts about a mile south of the ferry terminal. We love to walk up the beach to playa for dinner and fun. The only issue I have is with the local shop keepers. They just harass us to visit their shops. We have plenty of the souviners that most of the shops offer, but we still like to look and usually find something we can't live with out. I realize that this is their livelihood but to be honest the shops are usually owned by some other fat cat. WHAT is the best way to say no. Other than just saying no and keep walking. I have found that just ignoring or overlooking them works well, but sometimes I feel it is mean. When I do go into one of these shops with overly zealous keeps I just say "I have all this what do you have that's new". That usually puts them on the defense and puts off the hard sell. Again I realize that this is Mexico and their culture. Any ideas for me to try this time?

Thanks, Mike

6 Answers Nov 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    • Minivan with driver for trip from PDC to Chichen Itza

by Mitchellsusan2000 Online Now Aug 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I want to rent a minivan with a driver to go with a group of 8 people round trip from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza, stopping a few other places along the way. How much should it cost, and where would I organize the minivan rental from? Also, what is the current entrance fee to Chichen Itza?

4 Answers Oct 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    • 17 and 18 year olds, what to do?

by normandoo Online Now Jul 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I'm going to the Fairmont Mayakoba it's about 15 minutes from Playa del Carmen. I'm 17 and I'm going with my family. What is there to do for a teenager like me?

3 Answers Aug 7, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    • Concerned about booking a trip to this resort

by Jimi28 Online Now Jul 19, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Hey travelers....do you know....did the Playa del Carmen resort have a shuttle from the airport and how was the food...any concerns with Montezuma's revenge?
      Did this resort live up to the hype?

1 Answer Aug 7, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    • "First Timer"...

by FirstTimer14 Online Now Jul 8, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I am traveling to Playa Del Carmen this upcoming Sunday (staying at Valentin Imperial Maya) with my husband... Any tips/suggestions on what to do or more importantly what NOT to do? We are only there for 5 days and want to get the most out of our vacation.

I have heard good and bad things about some of the excursions... any suggestions? Should I exchange my US dollars, is it necessary? If so, where is a good place to do so - at the hotel?

Thanks in advance,
      CQ

8 Answers Jul 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    • Best day tours of the Mayan Ruins & memorable locations & sights from Playa del Carmen

by Stevebldr Online Now Jun 24, 2014 at 3:56 AM

I would like to book some day tours from Playa Del Carmen during the period: 7/1/2015 - 12/1/2015. Which sights & tours are so memrable that they should not be missed? Could you please give me contact details of highly recomended & realistically priced local tour operators? Many thanks Steve

4 Answers Jun 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    • Solo lady fun in playa

by ann.briant Online Now Jun 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM

In my 40s and Going to playa solo next weekend. Want to go out at night and have fun!!! Recommendations? Something on the beach with a band and dancing? Thanks!!

1 Answer Jun 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    • Italian restaurant off of 5th ave

by DeniseH55 Online Now Jun 19, 2014 at 5:11 AM

I visited Playa del Carman and walked to an Italian restaurant a couple blocks off of 5th ave and the bartender there made a frozen mixed drink with fresh basil. Does any one out there know about this restaurant or the drink?
      Thanks

1 Answer Jun 19, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    • Pop the Question

by zgrisham Online Now Jun 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Best place to propose in playa del Carmen?

1 Answer Jun 18, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    • dmongo's Profile Photo

playing soccer

by dmongo Online Now Jun 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM

my friends and I are there for two weeks during the world cup....is there anywhere we can go play in a pick up soccer game? As well one of us wants to play squash? Is that possible.

• Viva Wyndham Maya- best way to get to/from PDC?

by AndiKet Online Now May 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Hi, I am staying at Viva in a couple weeks and am trying to find the best cheap way to get from Cancun Airport to the resort. I have heard excellent things about the ADO bus, which would get us to Playa Del Carmen, but my question is how to get to the resort from there. I've read that a taxi's would only be around $5, but is it safe, convenient, etc? Are taxis just sitting around downtown PDC waiting or would we have to call and wait on one? Any insight would be appreciated!! Thanks!

3 Answers May 30, 2014 at 4:09 AM
    • things to do with kids

by espinosag Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Are there any special events happening in June 2014

• fishing in playa Del Carmen

by lazysusan7 Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM

If staying at campground at xel-ha are you able
      To put your boat in the water easy. Can you easily
      Drive on sand with truck??

1 Answer Mar 30, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    • hagarx7's Profile Photo

Where is good place to stay

by hagarx7 Online Now Mar 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I want to visit the lay del Carmen and surrounding areas and would like to stay on the beach. I also want quiet...not clubs til 5 a.m. or construction at 7 a.m. I plan to get a car. What is a good hotel? I am open to all inclusive or non, but must having parking.

4 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    • Secret Beaches.

by DanArnold Online Now Mar 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM

What are some secret beaches around Playa Del Carmen that only locals would know about that have calm waters and beautiful to swim in all day?

2 Answers Mar 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    • Good Friday procession

by kurtzerfamily Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM

While visiting Playa a couple years ago, we witnessed the end of a Good Friday procession on Avenida Quinta (5th Ave). My daughter would like to see/participate in this from the beginning. Where and when does it start, and does it follow a prescribed route?

1 Answer Mar 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    • islandtrvlr's Profile Photo

Best Weather Source

by islandtrvlr Online Now Mar 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Curious what sources people use for checking out the weather in advance of their trip. So many sites have conflicting reports. Which one seems to be the most accurate?

7 Answers Mar 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    • Health & Safety

by shihhan5 Online Now Mar 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

My girlfriend is getting married in Playa del Carmen in an all inclusive resort in September. I'm debating if I should take my 2 year old son with me. My gut says yes, but with the possible "water" contamination and current drug wars...am I being paranoid?

5 Answers Mar 27, 2015 at 2:54 AM