Placencia Village Travel Answers

change location
Beate64's Profile Photo

plane and/or bus?

by Beate64 Online Now Dec 29, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Hello, I am coming to Placencia in February with my husband. Our plane arrives Feb. 3rd 11:56am. I saw that the next flight to Placencia goes out at 1:30pm. Is it better to reserve two seats at that time of year?
Also, we are thinking about going back to Belize City by bus... any thoughts on that or should we rather book right away round trip tickets?
Our plane out of Belize City leaves March 7th 12:55pm.

Also, at the time I booked this all, it was not that easy to find a suitable flight out and we ended up with 33 days in Belize instead of the allowed 30 days... do we have to especially make a trip out of the country to Guatemala for example to extend for 3 days or can this get arranged once we go through customs?? As they will see anyway the dates of our trip and the extend of our stay...

Also, I've heard that Skin so soft from Avon works very well against sand flies... any experience and input from anyone?? Should we bring mosquito stuff with deet or purchase once we arrive??

Thanks so much for your help! I look forward to any answer :))) and to our holidays!

Beate :))

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • CaGypsy's Profile Photo

Re: plane and/or bus?

by CaGypsy Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 6:18 AM

Hi,

I don't really know if you need to reserve that flight to Placencia or not. Part of me thinks it couldn't hurt (being a busy time of year and all) but our experiences with catching these flights has been so laid back it has never been a factor.

The bus back to Belize City, also something I don't have first hand experience with. We really enjoy driving around here, Hummingbird Highway is one of my favorite drives. Jam, cram, packed on one of these buses around here, I don't know about that. If its a tour bus with guaranteed seating, it's a nice drive.

The Visa - they only give 30 days at the border. Period. Going to Guatemala is an excellent plan, take the tour of Tikal etc., wonderful trip. Otherwise you will have to get to Customs (maybe right in Placencia for all I know) and get an extension, I believe it it50 U.S. each time you extend.

I'm so glad you already know about the sand flies - what little buggers! If Skin So Soft works....bring a gallon (and some for me!) There are 3 things you can do to avoid getting bitten.

1. Keep yourself covered in a layer of oil at all times (doesn't matter what kind, I used olive oil it's all I had) They drown in the oil. This is not so convenient.

2. Wear long sleeves and long pants and socks at dusk and dawn.

3. Stay inside at dusk and dawn - and pray for a strong breeze your entire trip.

Deet does not work - nothing actually repels them. If the wind stops, get inside or get your legs and arms covered. If you do get bites, a really masochistic solution is to poke it with a sterile needle and swipe rubbing alcohol on it, and apply anti-itch cream. It will cease to itch and will not scab, scar or bother you again. **Sounds like I know a lot about this, doesn't it!!!** ha ha!

Have a fantastic trip

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beate64's Profile Photo

by Beate64 Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Thanks so much Paula :)) Great info and I will let you in on how Skin so soft worked! I did some research on the net and found a lot of people that swear by it and I will take longer and comfortable socks with me! Are you around there in that time too?? Would be great to meet :))

Thanks again for your input!

Have a great day and a wonderful start into 2008!

Beate.

by CaGypsy Online Now Dec 30, 2007 at 9:12 AM

You are welcome. Yes, we will be here until the end of March or April sometime - so we'll have to keep in touch. We are camping in Old Belize, but get down to Placencia often.

One other suggestion, in regards to a Guatemala trip - the company MayaWalk does a great tour to Tikal. They handled all the transportation from San Ignacio to the ruins and back, we had a tour guide throughout and they included lunch, all for85 U.S.each - we couldn't have driven there for that kind of money!

Keep in touch

by Beate64 Online Now Jan 8, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Hello again Paula,

I have been very busy lately but wanted to let you know we are leaving for Belize on February 2nd and will arrive on the 3rd, and we will leave on March 7th.

We are staying at one of Magda Morales' 'Be Back Cabanas' for that time. I will also try to check regularly my e-mails. You can reach me two different ways, either through my website: http://www.beate-epp.com or use my home e-mail address, eppfarm@yourlink.ca

Yes, would be nice to meet :))

Take care, I have still a load of work to do until then ;)))

Best wishes, Beate

by CaGypsy Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 7:15 AM

There is one other thing I was thinking about, in regards to you getting from Placencia back to Belize City. You would think since we camp in a marina, it would have been my first thought, but it wasn't....

Maybe look into taking a boat back to the airport. I don't have any idea what service there might be, or if there would be anything reasonably priced, but it would be worth checking. Anything would be better than that road, ha ha! If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

by Beate64 Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Hey there, I did not check for some days so just saw your message now...

Here is a link about the various transportations I found... so there is no boat ride available. We will decide once we are there. I look so much forward to go... it is freaking cold right now here... brrrrr -27 C with wind...
    I go now up to my studio and get some painting done.

Hope to see you while we are in Placencia, you know where to find us :))

Have a great time and good travels!

Best, Beate.

by Beate64 Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Hey Janel, sorry, I just saw your reply... too late ;)) But thats ok. We came back on the 8th and had a great time! Had a simple cabana at a good price for us and used it as a home base for further trips.
    We traveled a week around Guatemala, through PG, Puerto Barrios, Livingston, Rio Dulce, Flores, Tikal, then back, and spent a week on an outer island. We met some great people and made good friends.
    I'll send you an e-mail also if you like to know more, and I will also post pictures soon on myphotoalbum.
    Thanks for your message, keep in touch!

Hugs, Beate.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines