Placencia Village Travel Answers

change location

swimming/beaches

by cjtalley Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Hi,
I am planning a family trip to Belize with three teens/pre-teens. We want to stay on the beach where it is safe for kids to swim. I understand Placencia has the best beaches in Belize. Are they sandy beaches? Is it safe to swim there?
Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • diver-x's Profile Photo

Re: swimming/beaches

by diver-x Online Now Jul 14, 2007 at 7:33 AM

The beach at Placencia is sandy with some pebbles. And as with all of the beaches I've seen so far in Belize there is quite a bit of sea grass that washes in the shallows. You get past it after the water is thigh high or so. There is very little in the way of surf because of the barrier reef so you don't have to worry about big waves and undertow. I don't think of Belize as so much of a beach vacation. The beaches are just ok but not as good as other places in the Caribbean like Aruba, Bahamas, Puerto Rico or even Grand Cayman. But I do love Belize for the sight seeing in the jungle, caves, river tubing, Mayan ruins and for the people. So don't get me wrong, it's a great place to go and I do hope to go back. I just wouldn't plan on spending most of my time on the beach. Placencia itself is a pretty interesting place with lots of interesting characters and local color.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • diver-x's Profile Photo

by diver-x Online Now Jul 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM

I see in your previous post that you are looking mainly for a beach destination and an inexpensive one at that. I would recommend Culebra, a tiny island just east of Puerto Rico. The beaches there are simply amazing and it's relatively inexpensive. You can easily find hotels/inns for70-80/night. There is even a campground at the most lovely beach of them all (Flamenco) for10/night.

http://www.culebra.org/dev/lodging.asp
    swulinski.com/travels/Culebr...

Good luck!

• Travmad's Profile Photo

by Travmad Online Now Jul 24, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Another option is Tobacco Caye. The have nice beaches and swimming in clear water with inexpensive accommodation that includes three meals per day.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines