Pittsburgh Travel Answers

change location

vacation close to Pittsburgh

by lonolf Online Now Dec 6, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Hello,
I would like to travel with my significant other from Pittsburgh somewhere nice during Christmas. The problem is that we do not have a car, so we need something accessible by a train / bus / flight (in that preference order).
Our budget is something like1000 for staying in a hotel during christmas for 2/3 nights and transporation. Can someone recommend on a good place to stay that is reachable by public transportation and is accessible by train from Pittsburgh in a reasonable amount of time?

We are lost and cannot find anything :( Any help is appreciated.

If you are going to suggest the Poccons, can you be more specific about a place? They all seem to be inaccessible without a car.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: vacation close to Pittsburgh

by lostsooner55 Online Now Dec 6, 2007 at 6:48 PM

I have not been to the Poconos, but faced a similar situation several times when visiting southern California. I found 2 web links that might be of help, if you don,t already have them: http://www.800poconos.com & http://www.sbccomputer.com. Both sites have hotel listings and mention transportation options. The .800poconos site has an option that you can request "live help". Hope this is useful. Enjoy your trip. Gary

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Travmad's Profile Photo

Re: vacation close to Pittsburgh

by Travmad Online Now Dec 7, 2007 at 9:52 AM

What are your likes and dislikes ie.. sking, cities, country cabin getaway? I can give you many suggestions by train or bus, so being more specific would help. You can email me at Travmad@hotmail.com

• Re: vacation close to Pittsburgh

by haentjens Online Now Dec 13, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Don't know if this helps but here are 2 ideas:

You could go to Cleveland by train. Under 3 hours and about30. The Rock N Roll Musuem is fun to visit.
    cleveland.about.com/od/event...

You could go to Bethlehem, on the edge of the Poconos, by bus. It is about 5 hours and the train does not go there, but it fashions itself as a Christmas destination and the Moravian settlement is neat. Buses between Bethlehem and Philly are easy and frequent (non Greyhound buses too) so you could even bus to Bethlehem, then bus to Philly, and train home.

I could try to provide more ideas on things to do in or nearby these cities if you want. Good luck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines