Pittsburgh Travel Answers

change location
MuteZ's Profile Photo

Moving to Pittsburgh in Fall 2007 to do a PhD from UPitt - Housing Help Needed!

by MuteZ Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 5:38 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a 32 year old male from Karachi, Pakistan who's gotten himself selected for the Fulbright Scholarship to do a PhD in Development Policy from the University of Pittsburgh :-)

I'm moving to the city sometime early August 2007 to start my studies and am looking for a place to live! While the best solution that I see is a temporary place (for the Fall of 2007 only, for example) and looking for a REAL place after i've settled into the city and country, I'm open to all options. Rent-wise, i'm hoping to get something in the vicinity of 600 bucks all inclusive.

Basically, I'm looking to rent a 1-bedroom apartment with a private bathroom in a safe neighbourhood close to UPitt (my dept. - GSPIA - is on Bouquet Street / R Clement Drive). Something with a well-equipped kitchen and a washer/drier in unit or on premises would be a great life-saver.

For anyone reading this: I need help in identifying safe neighbourhoods (the posts about crime rate make it sound scary!) and any housing opportunities that you can point me towards. General tips on living in Pittsburgh for somebody who's not been to the US would be greatly appreciated too!

Many thanks in advance,
Khurram

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lizilex's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Pittsburgh in Fall 2007 to do a PhD from UPitt - Housing Help Needed!

by lizilex Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Sorry I'm no help on Pittsburgh -- I'm sure other VTers will be -- but just wanted to congratulate you on your Fulbright and welcome you to the US. Best, Lisa

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Travmad's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Pittsburgh in Fall 2007 to do a PhD from UPitt - Housing Help Needed!

by Travmad Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 10:12 AM

A good website to try is Craigslist.com. For meeting people and outdoor activities have a look at ventureoutdoors.org. I know you will enjoy western Pa.

• jelw's Profile Photo

by jelw Online Now Apr 30, 2007 at 4:45 AM

Well done, a Fulbright!
    My Husband from Pittsburgh said the first thing to do is become a Steelers fan. That is the local football team, colors Gold and Black. Wearing one of their shirts may at least offer the initial comfort of looking as if you belong in the area. Said with a smile.
    In the Oakland area you will be in, on campus offers the great amenity of bus transport at no charge with student Identification. it is a safe amiable area right there on campus, could you consider the Graduate housing there?
    I have the recently retired operating engineer from Grad housing here. He strongly suggests you contact and get on Campus Grad housing at least initially. This is the phone number for Graduate housing 011-412-624-9900.
    They can be of great help to you.

If on campus housing is out of the question please just avoid the south section of Oakland.
    Best wishes

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines