Pigeon Forge Travel Answers

change location

TRAVELLING SOUTH INCLUDING PIGEON PORGE&SMOKEY MOUNTAINS

by LIKVERA Online Now Jun 3, 2006 at 3:10 AM

Hi
We are a familly of 3 from Israel planing to travel from New York city south to Smoky Mountain
including Pigeon Porge .We have 2 weeks
Please can you help me planning a trip from N.Y to Atlanta
We can Do a a cicular Trip and return to N.Y with the car or one way till Atlanta and fly back home.
Thank you very much
Abraham Likverman
P.S if anyone have qwestions about Israel I will be happy to help

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • donato1899's Profile Photo

RE: TRAVELLING SOUTH INCLUDING PIGEON PORGE&SMOKEY MOUNTAINS

by donato1899 Online Now Jun 4, 2006 at 4:24 PM

You can find the best route on Mapquest.com
    You can take Interstate 81 most of the way.
    You will be very close to Gettysburg, where the most terrible battle of our civil war was fought. It is a very moving and beautiful place.
    I think 50,000 died in three days and the tide of the war turned there. The battle field is filled with impressive memorials built by the cities and states that sent troops there that gave their lives.
    Really you will be in Civil War country all thru Virginia.
    You could detour south before that and see Pennsylvania dutch country. The Amish people live there, a christian sect that does not embrace automobiles or electricity, very interesting.
    You will be in the Appalaician mountains most of the way on I-85 and anyplace you get off the interstate highway should be different, rural and undeveloped.
    Pigeon forge is a very intersting place. It is very commercelized, lots of tee shirt and souvigner(spelled wrong) shops. Dollywood is worth a visit if you are a Dolly Parton fan. The Smoky Mountains are really great and well worth the trip.
    I would fly home from Atlanta, but maybe you want to go back north on the east side of the mountains and see the atlantic coast.
    On the North Carolina side of the Smoky Mountain National Park, Bryson City,the Nantahala river(white water rafting), and Cherokee are nice to see.
    The road thru the National Park from Tennessee to North Carolina is a very nice drive.
    The road goes from Gatlinburg(pigeon forge) to Cherokee.
    On the way to Atlanta you can mine for rubys in Franklin,NC fun but just for entertainment.
    The Smokies are great and worth the trip.It sounds like a fun trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vhasouth's Profile Photo

RE: TRAVELLING SOUTH INCLUDING PIGEON PORGE&SMOKEY MOUNTAINS

by vhasouth Online Now Jun 7, 2006 at 1:02 PM

I can't help with NYC but I can recommend a couple of things in the Smokies.
    1) Be sure to go to Cades Cove. This is an area that is a must in the mountains. This is where you have an excellent chance of seeing deer, turkeys, and if you're lucky a bear or two. Cades Cove is a one-way loop road that takes you to log cabins and a small settlement area. It's a great place to take a picnic lunch. There are lots of trails, if you want to get off the road and explore. Driving to Cades Cove is also beautiful.

2) Since you are from Israel, you may be interested in visiting an Indian Reservation. At Cherokee, NC, there is a recreation of a Cherokee Village. There are lots of crafts that are made by the local Indians. It is a great place to learn about the Cherokee.

Remember if you visit the mountains, do NOT ride your breaks when you are coming down steep inclines. Touch your breaks, THEN LET OFF...they will get too hot if you stay on them. Also, there are literally hundreds of pull-off areas where you can see the vistas and also let traffic get by you.

Relax...everyone there is on vacation.

Have a wonderful trip!!! My family and I will be in Gatlinburg in about a month!!

• Re: TRAVELLING SOUTH INCLUDING PIGEON PORGE&SMOKEY MOUNTAINS

by BranChris Online Now May 5, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Hello,

I hope you don't mind my using this venue, but I would like to send your confirmation letter for your August visit to Williamsburg. During our conversation on 3 May, I did not get your email address and I apparently wrote your fax number down incorrectly, so I was unable to fax it to you. If you would email me at info@foxandgrapebb.com, I will send your confirmation via email. Or if you prefer, you may call and leave your fax number and/or email address on my voicemail. I hope to hear from you and look forward to your visit in August. Thank you very much.
    Brandy Christin

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines