Picton Travel Answers

change location
lowlee's Profile Photo

Queen Charlotte Sound accomodation

by lowlee Online Now Sep 4, 2009 at 6:26 PM

HI,
We are a family of 5(2adults/3 children aged 10,13,14) planning to tbe in Queen Charlotte Sound in early Dec. Looking to stay in one of the lodges in the sound for 3 nights and explore the Queen Charlotte track around the accomodation.
Considering Endeavour Resort and Fishing Lodge. NOt much info on the net except their Website.

Wonder if anyone has experience at the Resort or if they have other family self contained units (moderate price range NZ$200-300)to recommend for the family.

Thanks.

Low
(Singapore)

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Sep 11, 2009 at 2:33 AM

I stayed at the Endeavour Resort in 2006 and found it to be a bit "retro" and old. It was quaint and likeable but very tired in places. Just don't expect modern accommodation, if it is still the same now.
    There is a fun library and games room. Again, old fashioned. You can see my photos and write up on my Queen Charlotte accommodation tips on my QC page. Just to comment that "Resort" conjures up something that this place is not. The location, however, is divine.
    Not sure what you exact plans are but you may like to consider staying at Portage and doing your day walks from there. Most people though, stay in a different lodge each night as they move along the track.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lowlee's Profile Photo

Re: Queen Charlotte Sound accomodation

by lowlee Online Now Sep 17, 2009 at 10:25 PM

HI,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry have not checked the site for a while and missed your reply. Yes I came across your review in Virtual Tourist and I have adjusted our expectations!!

With 3 kids, we thought it a bit tough to change accomodation every night and walk daily. So we have booked Endeavour resort for 3 nights and plan to walk part of the track nearby. Planning to walk to resolution bay (3 hours) from Endeavour and take a water taxi back and possibly take a water taxi to Punga cove and walk back to Endeavour from there. Hope to do some fishing at Endeavour too.

Thanks so much for your helpful info.

Have a great week.

Low

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Sep 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I think that is a good idea. The water taxi is fantastic. The people at the 'Resort' we found to be great. You kids will likely enjoy it I hope. It's away from technology though but there is a television in the games room. A good chance for them to experience remoteness.
    I'll look forward to hearing how the visit goes.
    Personally, I enjoyed this place.

• lowlee's Profile Photo

by lowlee Online Now Sep 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. We were getting a little cold feet about the place as there is hardly any reviews or photos of the place. There are nicer places which we saw on the web but they are much more expensive and not many have apartments that can accomodate all the 5 of us.

We are Ok with no technology. The whole idea of being there is to escape from it all!

Thanks once again for your input.

Low and family

• lowlee's Profile Photo

by lowlee Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 6:35 AM

Hi,

We just returned from our 2 week holiday in New Zealand. Thought I will report back in this forum our accomodation at the Endeavour Fishing Lodge and Resort at the Endeavour Inlet. We spent 3 nights at the Endeavour and we had a great time there. The Resort consist of several cabins(with no attached bath/kitchen) and some motel rooms (with attached bath/kitchen). We stayed at a motel room called Twizel for NZ$200/night. It is clean and well kept. As mentioned by Kiwi the furnitures are from a generation ago. It is small but cosy. It is basically a square unit divided into 4 quarters - 2 bedrooms, a kitchen/bathroom/toilet and a dining/living room. 2 of the rooms have a nice sea view. We cooked most of our meals but splurged on an expensive dinner at the Furneaux Lodge.

The children (aged 10,13,14) had great fun at the games room playing pool and table soccer and watched a movie.

Spent a day walking from Punga Cove back to Endeavour. That took us 4.5 hours with time for a short picnic lunch at one of the many creeks along the way.

Spent a wonderfully relaxing day fishing (caught about 20 fishes in about 3 hours - which we cooked for lunch), kayaking and playing at the small beach at the resort.

Thanks to Kiwi for her recommendations and writeups, we had a really good time and this place was one of the highlights of our trip.

Low and family

• lowlee's Profile Photo

by lowlee Online Now Dec 10, 2009 at 6:38 AM

Hi,

We just returned from our 2 week holiday in New Zealand. Thought I will report back in this forum our accomodation at the Endeavour Fishing Lodge and Resort at the Endeavour Inlet. (http://www.endeavourresort.co.nz/) We spent 3 nights at the Endeavour and we had a great time there. The Resort consist of several cabins(with no attached bath/kitchen) and some motel rooms (with attached bath/kitchen). We stayed at a motel room called Twizel for NZ$200/night. It is clean and well kept. As mentioned by Kiwi the furnitures are from a generation ago. It is small but cosy. It is basically a square unit divided into 4 quarters - 2 bedrooms, a kitchen/bathroom/toilet and a dining/living room. 2 of the rooms have a nice sea view. We cooked most of our meals but splurged on an expensive dinner at the Furneaux Lodge.

The children (aged 10,13,14) had great fun at the games room playing pool and table soccer and watched a movie.

Spent a day walking from Punga Cove back to Endeavour. That took us 4.5 hours with time for a short picnic lunch at one of the many creeks along the way.

Spent a wonderfully relaxing day fishing (caught about 20 fishes in about 3 hours - which we cooked for lunch), kayaking and playing at the small beach at the resort.

Thanks to Kiwi for her recommendations and writeups, we had a really good time and this place was one of the highlights of our trip.

Low and family

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines