Phumi Siem Reab Travel Answers

change location
schmechi's Profile Photo

How long to stay in Siem Reap

by schmechi Online Now Mar 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I'll combine my next year's holiday in Thailand with a trip to Cambodia. Due to lack of time I'll travel by plane. Definitely I want to visit Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and Tonle Sap. So how many days you'd schedule for these sights?

And is it more clever to stay in Siem Reap and make locational tours? Or should I move between the sights? Did I overlook a must-see in the Siem Reap-region?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: How long to stay in Siem Reap

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Angkor Wat and the other sites are a short distance from Siem Reap, so stay there and do day trips to the sites. Admission tickets to the main sites are for 1, 3 and 7 days.

We were there for five days and used the 3-day pass and visited out of the way locations like Beng Mealea on the other two days.

Short video from the temples is on my home page (we were there exactly one year ago). "The Temples at Angkor" - Angkor Wat Video by GrumpyDiver

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo

by GlobeTrekr Online Now Mar 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Agree with GrumpyDiver. Really depends on how much time you have and how much you want to see...the Angkor complex is HUGE! We got the 3 day pass and it was enough for us for Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and other nearby Angkor temples. Don't miss Ta Prohm and head up Phnom Bakheng to see the sunset over Tonle Sap. Stay in Siem Reap and allow time to explore and enjoy Siem Reap, its actually a very nice, charming town.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Not much to add except to endorse all the above. I got a three day pass, and whilst I would have liked to have stayed longer, it was sufficient to see the main sights / sites. I agree that Ta Phrom is a must see, and I also loved Bantaey Srei (sp?) which is a little out of the way but worth the journey.

Really depends on how much time you have but anything less than three days and it probably isn't worth the flight.

hope this assists,

fergy.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

by AlbuqRay Online Now Mar 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I just got back from a month in Cambodia. There are already good recommendations above. Since I did the Angkor Temple Complex last year, I tried some of the more remote sites this time. Beng Mealea is definitely worth seeing but now be sure to add Koh Ker, where there is an amazing pyramid (like in Central America). Another spectacular option is Preah Vihear, which can now be done in a very long day trip out of Siem Reap using the more-than-new road (big parts of all these roads are still under construction) through Anlong Veng. It sounds like you have limited time though, so you have your priorities right. Everything should be done using Siem Reap as your base.

• Re: How long to stay in Siem Reap

by jetset088 Online Now Apr 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I would stay at least a week. Well worth it! My tour guide was awesome and has been doing tours for the last 12 or so years. He gave history on everything, and i mean everything.

Anyway, you hit upon the right places to see. You could also throw in the tonle sap lake and floating villiage. all worth it.

if you want to book him, just hit him up at: global-explore.com/cambodia

I think this is his direct page that I booked with him on.

Enjoy!

• tara_miller11's Profile Photo

by tara_miller11 Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Any less than 3 days and you wont be doing the temples justice.

I lived in Cambodia for 2 months and its an amazing place. I have a community organisation in Siem Reap if you are interested in that kind of thing. We basically sponsor a village and offer volunteer opportunities, or you can meet the children needing educational sponsorship.

If you want advice on where to stay let me know. I used New Riveside Hotel (www.riversideroom.com) but pre booked with Sopheap at siemreaptuktuk@yahoo.com, that way i could picked up, transported to the hotel and had temple transport without being surrounded by people begging for my business :)

• tara_miller11's Profile Photo

by tara_miller11 Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Any less than 3 days and you wont be doing the temples justice.

I lived in Cambodia for 2 months and its an amazing place. I have a community organisation in Siem Reap if you are interested in that kind of thing. We basically sponsor a village and offer volunteer opportunities, or you can meet the children needing educational sponsorship.

If you want advice on where to stay let me know. I used New Riveside Hotel (www.riversideroom.com) but pre booked with Sopheap at siemreaptuktuk@yahoo.com, that way i could picked up, transported to the hotel and had temple transport without being surrounded by people begging for my business :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines