Phumi Siem Reab Travel Answers

change location
kenningst's Profile Photo

Staying with the locals..

by kenningst Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 5:27 AM

I always believe that if you really want to understand a country in and out, you have to stay,eat and talk to the locals..i am planning a trip to Siem reap in April and plan to stay in siem reap alone for a week before heading to Bangkok. I was wondering if there is any place that i could arrange to stay in a local home for one night and to dine their home cooked local dish. I bet it will be an eye opener... any help of VT out there?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Staying with the locals..

by jeffmagic Online Now Feb 6, 2007 at 8:25 AM

You are right about the locals being to way to go. People in Siem Reap are really friendly - my buddy and I made friends with some of the locals without any intended effort and they took us out to their favorite local spots, no barang in site. So, I will say you dont have to plan it, just be nice and ask the locals where they hang out and party, and ask them along. You will also save money being in Khmer company. For example, we went for drinks with a couple Khmer dudes and we had 18 beers, and food for everyone - price, 8 dollars.
    Stay away from Pub Street, aka barang blvd. All the tourists are there and the prices are high. Just ask a few moto driver what's fun, and where they go.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kenningst's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Staying with the locals..

by kenningst Online Now Feb 14, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Jeff...jeff. I think i know you coz of your name. i think. i know a jeff who is into magic as well. are u the jeff that i know or are you just putting the name for fun?

• dancingroads's Profile Photo

Re: Staying with the locals..

by dancingroads Online Now May 5, 2007 at 6:20 AM

If you're heading towards battambang you could always try this homestay....?

geocities.com/battambangvill...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines