Phumi Siem Reab Travel Answers

change location

ferry travel from Cambodia to Vietnam

by wendymoline Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 1:04 AM

We are looking for info on ferry travel from Siem Reap or Pnom Penh Saigon - nothing fancy, just safe and reliable. We will be Siem Reap and want to travel about 22 Jan 04. Would like to know if we need to book before we go, and how much it is likely to cost, also how long it will take. Are looking for a cheaper alternative than flying which is about132 AUD ($90US).

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Re: ferry travel from Cambodia to Vietnam

by pmarshuk Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 3:43 AM

Don't remember any ferries direct from from Siem Reap to Vietnam, but there are ferries to Phnom Penh and from there you can get onward travel to Vietnam. The ferries between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh cost about US$22 and usually take about 5 hours (see my travel pages on Siem Reap to see what can happen on the trip). You can easily buy tickets in Siem Reap for this. In Phnom Penh you will find trips to Vietnam in lots of travel agencies. The Capital Guesthouse has a very good travel agency which can offer options for the trip - overland or by boat. Didn't do that journey myself so I can't comment on what it is like. For lots of information about travelling in Cambodia then read the www.talesofasia.com website, it's written by an expat Amercan who lives in Siem Reap and is very up to date with all the latest travel info and advice. Have a great trip Phil

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SirRichard's Profile Photo

by SirRichard Online Now Oct 21, 2003 at 7:17 AM

I took this summer the boat Siem Reap - Phnom Penh (5hours, 22 USD) and from Phnom Penh took a bus to Saigon (9 hours, 6 USD). I think there U can go by boat Phnom Penh - Saigon but is longer and U have to change boat a few times. Joaquin

• ngsway's Profile Photo

Re: Re: ferry travel from Cambodia to Vietnam

by ngsway Online Now Oct 22, 2003 at 12:04 AM

I've just completed my Cambodia trip early this month. There is this new boat that operate from Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn and vice versa. It is called Mekong Express. Currently on promotion rate of USD15 per person, with 1st class service; luggage check in, free flow of drinks, english movie on large screen and lunch included. It feels more like a airplane journey rather than a ferry... Better check your travel date though, because it operates on alternate days only.

• stedeb's Profile Photo

by stedeb Online Now Oct 23, 2003 at 5:12 AM

Hi we recently got back from Vietnam and Cambodia we took the bus Saigon-Phnom Penh not the easiest of trips then a ferry Phnom Penh-Siem Reap going to SR was relatively copmfotable but the retuern journey can only be described as hell!!! there must of been at least 200 people crammed on the ferry my seat was sodl to 2 other ticket holders and my sisters seat was sold to 4 others!!!! I would recomedn flying directly in and out of SR and that is what I would do if I went back. There is a ferry that goes via the Mekong Delta I think there is a 2 day Mekong trip that finishes in PP. Contact the Sinh Cafe in Saigon 246-248 De Tham HCM 8 376833 hope this is helpful. We paidUS20 going andUS22 coming back.

• stedeb's Profile Photo

by stedeb Online Now Oct 23, 2003 at 5:19 AM

Hi just found my Sinh Cafe brochure it states "HCM-Moc Bai-PP Sinh Cafe organise transport from HCM-Moc Bai-PP with air conditioned bus. Everday 8.45am arrive in PP at 5pmUS6 pp." Alternately there is the combined 2 day 1 night HCM-Cao Lanh-Long Xuyen-Chau Doc-PP depart daily at 7.45 am arrive PP 3pm next dayUS20 inclusive of bus, tour guide, entrance fee, boat trip, hotel(with twin room, air con & b/fast) excludes food and drink . That is written word for word from their brochure. Hope this helps. Or a 3 day forUS28.

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Re: Re: ferry travel from Cambodia to Vietnam

by pmarshuk Online Now Oct 23, 2003 at 5:23 AM

Thanks Debrs, I'll be in HCMC in about a moths time and I'll be making my to Phnom Penh from there so this is great info. Cheers Phil

• stedeb's Profile Photo

by stedeb Online Now Oct 23, 2003 at 5:29 AM

Forgot to mention these trips end at the Capitol GH in PP. We stayed at the Capitol 3 GH forUS10 for air cond room very clean no complaints. I am in the rpocess of up dating my computer once that is done watch out for my Vietnam & Cambodia pages!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines