Phuket Travel Answers

change location

Suggest: Activites around JW Marriott, Phuket

by sheetanshu Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM

we are going to stay in JW Marriott Phuket for our honeymoon in mid Feb'13 for 6 days. From what I came to know, the resort itself is secluded with nothing much to do around.
Changing the resort is not an option (finalized by wife).

Seclusion is fine but we are looking for at least few party nights with some local shopping and sight seeing in towns along with other activities (snorkeling/kayaking/biking).

Plz suggest on what all activities (where and how) we can do with base camp in jw marriott, phuket.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • johnaalex's Profile Photo

Re: Suggest: Activites around JW Marriott, Phuket

by johnaalex Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 2:01 AM

The main night life area on teh island is Patong Beach and that is about 30 minutes drive from the resort. Phuket Town does not have much going for it at night, but the market behind Robinsons is a good way to see real Thai life. Phuket Town will also be about 30 minutes from the JW. I am not sure if there are any boat trips that leave from anywhere close to the resort, they tend to leave either from Phuket Town or Patong. Try and visit the Big Buddha. I am about to update my Phuket pages so please check them in a couple of days.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 2:42 AM

You could book a tour with one of the companies that would pick you from your hotel and take you to Phi phi island, james bond island, phang nya bay, maya beach etc. We did two tours on consecutive days and enjoyed both. I have given details of South Smile tours who are the cheapest. I have also given the phone number. Call and book.
    Regarding night life, you can have a night at Patong beach and the Bangla road in patong has some active night life. You can arrange with a taxi to take you back to your resort at an appointed time. Thailand is safe and you can arrange with a known taxi guy to come and pick you and it should solve your problem. do take a look at my phuket pages.
    Have fun,

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM

The Marriot is a nice place to stay with a fine beach to enjoy. When you are ready for the adventure like snokeling and kayaking, i believe that they have their own activities around the resort. Ask your coincerige. I snokel around the coves of Marriot and enjoy it, remember to put sunscreen on your back, If you are good on a motor scooter, rent one and take a day to drive down the coast. There is one main road and hard to get lost. Even better is to rent a car for two days and take a trip to the P Cape and shimmy your way back home stopping at interesting sights you see. I love Kata beach and the Cape, but there are some hide away paridise beaches as well. I forget the name, but if you drive around the coastal area and see alot of scooters and cars parked along a cliff, usually there is a hide away beach in the area that you have to climb or walk down 200 meters to get to. You days will go by quickly, so take it in and enjoy.

cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

• PhuketRichard's Profile Photo

by PhuketRichard Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM

There are some nice little Thai resturants on the beach in front of the hotel but the snorkeling there is boring with only a gradualy inclined sandy bottom. For kayaking the only option would be the John Gray Sea Canoe "Starlight" trip which is fantastic for honeymooners. John is a good friend of mine & I have done this trip over a dozen times. It is also the only tour that I know of in the North of the Island that will not charge and additional transfer fee out to the Marriot.

Patong would indeed be the closest party option with a half hour transfer time with a one way cost from the hotel of 400 - 600 Thai Baht.

There are loads of things to do in Phuket but due to the transfer costs even bussiness owners like myself do not usualy promote activities unless the guests are very clear regarding the additional costs. I live and work in the far South of the Island in Rawai and the transfers from down by our area are 1000 Thai baht with a discount of 100 baht each way for the return trip so if you decide to do some sight seeing in the South of the Island it is wize to plan doing several things durring the same trip to make the costs more worth while.

Hope this info helps with your advance holiday planning & regards from Phuket.

Richard & Megumi

• PhuketRichard's Profile Photo

by PhuketRichard Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

There are some nice little Thai resturants on the beach in front of the hotel but the snorkeling there is boring with only a gradualy inclined sandy bottom. For kayaking the only option would be the John Gray Sea Canoe "Starlight" trip which is fantastic for honeymooners. John is a good friend of mine & I have done this trip over a dozen times. It is also the only tour that I know of in the North of the Island that will not charge and additional transfer fee out to the Marriot.

Patong would indeed be the closest party option with a half hour transfer time with a one way cost from the hotel of 400 - 600 Thai Baht.

There are loads of things to do in Phuket but due to the transfer costs even bussiness owners like myself do not usualy promote activities unless the guests are very clear regarding the additional costs. I live and work in the far South of the Island in Rawai and the transfers from down by our area are 1000 Thai baht with a discount of 100 baht each way for the return trip so if you decide to do some sight seeing in the South of the Island it is wize to plan doing several things durring the same trip to make the costs more worth while.

Hope this info helps with your advance holiday planning & regards from Phuket.

Richard & Megumi

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines