Phuket Travel Answers

change location
peteyjim's Profile Photo

Family holiday - Kata or Karon?

by peteyjim Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Just trying to work out the best beach to stay at for a family holiday (2 adults + 2 kids, 6 & 3yo). We've stayed at Karon a couple of times, Patong once , but never Kata.
What do people reckon regarding accom, distance to the beach, etc. I see club med pretty much take up most of kata beach too.
How is kata for restarants/shopping,etc?
Not considering Patong. Happy to go there for shopping & dinner, but not to stay.
Who knows, we may end up back at Koh Samui!
Cheers Pete

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Family holiday - Kata or Karon?

by Homanded Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Loved Kata - it was my favorite area of Phuket.
    We stayed at the Kata Beach resort, a wonderful hotel with 2 huge pools plus a wading pool for kids.
    They are also known to have the best breakfast buffet in that area - they did not disappoint.
    We not only enjoyed their spacious rooms and wonderful service but the convenience o666f being able to walk outside the gate and have a bus stop right at the main entrance.
    Just as easy was walking outside the gate and having all of Kata's towns (which isn't large by any means) at our disposal including some quaint restaurants, bars and tour operators.

Tip:

Booking tours such as Phi Phi snorkeling, James Bond, etc. is much cheaper from the tour operators on the main street - 1 block from hotel.
    Also, a couple of great laundry mats which will deliver to your room after laundering and pressing your items. Again, much cheaper than the hotel's services.
    Finally, there is a bank and ATM right across the street from the hotel.

I hope this helps,
    Homer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lipee's Profile Photo

by Lipee Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I have stayed many times at Kata Poolside Resort. It´s a very nice and friendly place about 3 min walk from the eastern side of Kata Yai (Kata Beach). You are not bothered by the wall of Club Med and there are many restaurants and shops close by. As the resort is about 100 m in from the main road you are not disturbed by the traffic in any way. http://www.katapoolside.com/

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Karon beach is very long, while Kata beach is smaller. At Kata, some hotels are farther away from the beach. So if you want to be close to the beach, make sure you check its location first. I think Kata is also busier than karon with more restaurant choices.

If you are traveling between Nov and April, it's better to stay on the Andaman side, and not Koh Samui because you'll get better weather.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Kata might be better, there are also more restaurants and also less currents in the sea.
    the way to the beach.. there's Club Med in Kata, it's quite wide, from som hotel you need to walk around for going to the beach.

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I've stayed at Le Meridien beach resort which is situated in its own private cove between Patong Beach and Karon Beach. You have probably seen the turnoff on the right about 5kms from Patong.

I must say it is very well set up for families, great pools, kids club, family style restaurants and its own private beach in a lovely location.

The downside it that it isnt walking distance to restaurants and shops. You would have to tuk tuk into Karon or Patong.

• peteyjim's Profile Photo

by peteyjim Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Thanks for the tips so far!
    @swissfondue, cheers for the tip, walking distance of shopping is definitely a priority.
    Oh yeah, we're planning on mid september. Not too worried about if it's low season or monsoon season. To us, it's still humid, the food still spicy and the beers still cold!

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Nov 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Le Meridien is very good but it's at walking distance of a few expensive (for thailand) shops... if you were looking for walking distance shops, definitely Kata beach.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines