Phuket Travel Answers

change location
biapol's Profile Photo

snorkeling at Racha islands in July?

by biapol Online Now Jun 21, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I'll be in Phuket from 9 - 11 July with a friend and I'm looking for an operator that offers snorkeling trips to Racha islands during this period. Does anyone know of one?
Or anyone else interested in going there on any of the 3 days we will be there? I have found one that offers a private boat hire for 6 pax to go there. But with just 2 of us that's too expensive.

It's quite tough, because it's the low season and so far the operators I found don't offer trips during monsoon season to Racha. Only to Phi Phi island. I know that diving operators still go Racha, but probably the dive sites won't be so suitable for snorkeling. Though I'm a diver, my friend isn't.

I've been to Phi Phi before and did scuba diving there, but I found the corals near Phi Phi are quite affected by tsunami and over-tourism. Also, the sight of the snorkeling boats then with 50 people packed on a small boat has put me off considering Phi Phi for snorkeling. I know there are tour operators offering smaller boats with max 15 pax, but still ... they won't be the only ones in Maya bay...

The other snorkeling place is Coral Bay, of which I have heard negative stories, that it's not worth snorkeling there.

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines