Phuket Travel Answers

change location

Spending money

by Ellepearson Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

In may this will be my first time travelling to Thailand. I am staying for 10 nights at a hotel and breakfast is included in the price we have paid. However drinks aren't and we plan to eat out most nights and do excursions such as phi phi and elephant treck, but I have no idea how much spending money to take! I have heard its really cheap out there but how cheap?!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Spending money

by Homanded Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Hello and welcome to Vt.

First things first,
    Where are you originating from? "Cheap" is very subjective depending on where you reside.
    If you are from USofA or the UK, or any / most European nations or Australia then yes, Thailand is quite cheap in comparison to prices paid for similar items there.
    Ditto for services, hotels, etc.
    If you are from Malaysia or elsewhere in SE Asia, things may not seem as "cheap".

There are certain things to follow and many good tips have been written on Thailand by various members including myself.
    Just to highlight a few off the top of my head:

Buying bottled water in hotel as opposed to a 7-11 is quite a bit more expensive.
    Eating in/around touristy areas much more expensive than on street.
    Hotel food/drinks/laundry service is much MUCH more expensive than elsewhere.
    Regions of Thailand vary as well - Bangkok opposed to Phuket opposed to Chiang Mai.
    Season you are going in affects some pricing as well, especially activities and tours.

I suggest you do a search by typing in your destination and reading through some of our members pages for tips and ideas on how to save $$$.
    We found Thailand extremely inexpensive compared to many other places in the world we have traveled to.
    Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Homer

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Yes Elle, but where are you coming from. Thailand is cheap , but how long is a piece of string. You can eat out at night markets where delicious food is cooked in front of you for less than 100 baht. Restaurants as in your country range in price but 500 baht would be more than enough for a meal, in many cases 250 baht would suffice.
    You have not mentioned where you are staying but you mention visiting PhiPhi which suggests you are staying in Phuket or Krabi area. Phuket is one of the more expensive touristy places to stay but still relatively cheap Just follow the good advice from Homer and search on the internet for the tours that you are interested in and see the prices.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM

ON THE SAFE SIDE, i BRING 100 per day and what ever you save is up to you. Stash a extra 100 usd on yourself for mad money or emergency backup, or a credit card will do. Yes, Thailand is cheap, but you are on vacation, so treat yourself to some luxury treats, like a spa treatment, massage, zip line jungle tour, flight of gibbons,Seafood is great there too if by the water. You can eat out as cheap as a buck and a half of go high on the hog and spend ten bucks...Thailand leaves you many choices. with a thousand dollars, i can stay in Thailand for a month and eat well . whole grill fish at the market, 120 bahts....less than four USD

cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

)

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM

As said eqrlier, it depends. Yesterday evening I took beer from 30 to 70 bahts, dinner for two was 1000 (half drinks, wine is expensive). But you can do with less on the streets, a hundred dollars for two is quite ok for normal expenses.

I am currently in Hua Hin.

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM

All tourists don't spend money the same way. Phuket may be the most expensive city area in Thailand but some really cheap people like me can find places to eat at and things to do that fit my spending preferences. Then there are tourists that routinely choose fancy places to eat and drink at every where they go. Different folks different strokes!

Have at least the same amount of money for discretionary spending that you spend for your hotel each day. Usually tourists in expensive hotels choose pricier places to eat at. And tourists in cheaper guest houses and budget hotels seek out cheaper places to eat and drink at and spend less for other things.

Have available the same amount of money you would spend back home each day when in a city far from home on holiday. If you run out of pocket cash you can use your debit card in an ATM.

(I like it when the hotel has a buffet included in the price because I can eat enough to keep me going until suppertime!)

Have fun.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM

akkipaa wrote:
    As said eqrlier, it depends. Yesterday evening I took beer from 30 to 70 bahts, dinner for two was 1000 (half drinks, wine is expensive). But you can do with less on the streets, a hundred dollars for two is quite ok for normal expenses.

I am currently in Hua Hin.

Hua hin is one of my favorite places in Thailand and if you follow the trail on the night market, you will find restaurants out in the streets near the train station which is most affordable and a good meal for 600 bahts for two.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Yes Thailand is cheap compared to many travel destinations and with a budget of 100 USD per day for two people would give you enough flexibility. On some days you may even spend less than that and for the remainin days you will have some extra to splurge. You can check some of my pages, the links are provided below. Enjoy it :)
    "Sea, Sun and Shopping" - Phuket by muratkorman
    "A milestone in my life" - Ko Phi Phi Don by muratkorman
    "An option to Phuket" - Krabi by muratkorman

by akkipaa Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

by akkipaa Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I am sorry, I am using my mobile and edited the answer and it seemed to disappear. i was just describing the issue, you can spend anything between 60 to 1200 for dinner. We had just a 60 baths (2$) dinner in a street food stand. It was not our intention, but we were walking around our hotel's corners and went were locals spend the evening. Easy to balance your budget, take drinks from 7-11 (it was just on the opposite side of the street) and enjoy tasty and cheap food. I write a tip of that later when home.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines