Phu Quoc Travel Answers

change location
annase's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by annase Online Now Oct 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Hi fellow travellers. I am going to Phu Quoc for 5 nights in December and would really love to try some snorkeling whilst there. I have heard snorkeling isn't that great, but I am not too worried as long as I can see some tropical fish. I have snorkeled a few times in Thailand (Phuket) where the corals are pretty dull and dead. I have my own gear, therefore, I'd love to hear your experiences of any trips that you have organised yourselves by hiring a boat from local fishermen as well as any trips organised by companies such Phu Quoc Explorer - especially the private tours. I have spent quite a few hours online looking for information so I have a pretty good idea what to expect from John's and Rainbow Divers, which isn't necessarily what I am looking for.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

Re: Snorkeling

by SfumatoPants Online Now Oct 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Unless you can speak Vietnamese you aren't going to find a fisherman to take you out, not to mention the fact that they are busy doing their job - fishing. Also safety standards are not exactly the best, even with the larger tour operators, going out with someone who just happens to have a boat, and throws you into the water somewhere isn't a good idea.

The organised tours are the only option. You don't have to arrange it before hand. Once you are there take a look at the options and choose what you like. If you want a more intimate experience, you can pay more for a smaller boat. No doubt what you found on line are the large tour boats that have a capacity of 20 or more... you can find something else once you are there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • annase's Profile Photo

Re: Snorkeling

by annase Online Now Oct 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Yes, very valid points. Thanks for your reply.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Phu Quoc