Phoenix Travel Answers

change location

Looking for bed & breakfast with antiques or local culture

by wgalager Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM

We enjoy antiques and staying in a b&b that isn't a cookie cutter style motel. Any suggestions for places in Phoenix, Glendale, Springerville or near Grand Canyon? We are newly retired, non smokers.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for bed & breakfast with antiques or local culture

by goodfish Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Hi there -
    Just to get the conversation started, you might look at Gaslight Inn in Glendale? I haven't been there myself but I see that Glendale is the "Antiques Capitol of Arizona", and this B&B is getting good reviews on our sister site, Trip Advisor.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

And a list of shops for Glendale; not sure if it's a complete listing;

visitglendale.com/shops/inde...

I'm hoping that we hear from some of our Arizona members soon - just didn't want to leave you hanging too long without a response! :O)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Out of curiosity, why Glendale? Are you planning on going to a Spring Training game? Or another sporting event? Because Glendale is definitely not where most people end up when visiting the Phoenix area. But, if you really want to stay there, I would take Goodfish's recommendation and look at B&B's near the Downtown area, which is very cute and is indeed full of antique stores. The actual hotels "in" Glendale are mostly by the University of Phoenix Stadium, and definitely fit the "cookie-cutter" definition. I would also recommend you check out Saguaro Ranch Park in the city, particularly if you're coming in the spring, as they have a rose garden and citrus grove that's gorgeous at the right time of year. Just be warned that the grounds are populated with loose chickens and peacocks.

For Phoenix, you should either stay in Downtown Phoenix or outside of Phoenix. There's not really another great part of the city, and calling Downtown "great" is definitely a stretch. Downtown Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale would be other choices. Downtown Tempe is a college area though, and can get quite rowdy. Old Town Scottsdale has its share of nightclubs though. If you end up with Downtown Phoenix, there are B&B's and the Hotel San Carlos (http://www.hotelsancarlos.com/).

For Springerville, I would actually recommend you stay in Greer instead. Springerville has a lot of "mom and pop" motels that run the gamut from "dump" to "quaint and rustic". If you search Springerville, you need to include Eagar also, as they're separate cities but are right next to one another. Greer is a nice mountain community with more of a focus on tourism. I would caution that, in reviews, you'll find references to the Greer Mountain Lodge, and this very recently closed.

For the Grand Canyon, you should look within the park itself. http://grandcanyonlodges.com The lodges there are far from cookie-cutter. The rooms themselves are certainly not luxurious, but the Grand Canyon is not really about spending time in a nice room. You will need to book these in advance by quite a bit; at least 6 months when traveling in the summer.

Hope that helps.

• qzaman's Profile Photo

by qzaman Online Now Aug 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Kate and Collin have nicely covered everything. I just wanted to add that if you venture towards Sedona, you may want to look at Briar Patch. Also in Jerome and Prescott there are nice non cookie cutter motels as well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines