Phoenix Travel Answers

change location

Is there accommodation for hikers near mountains?

by Hilz Online Now Jan 6, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Hi,
We are a group of 8 hikers coming from UK to visit AZ in April 07. We would like to get accommodation close to good hiking area. In Europe we would use youth hostels or mountain huts. That would be a room or two with bunk beds (say 4-6 beds per room). I don't know what would be the equivalent in the States.
The Superstition Mtn area looks amazing but we are flexible. We will have a couple of saloon cars rented from Phoenix Apt.
I'd be really grateful for any tips.
Many thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • PR-7's Profile Photo

Your options are quite limited

by PR-7 Online Now Jan 6, 2007 at 7:49 PM

For better or worse, almost NO mountain areas in the U.S., and in particular those on federal land in the western U.S., have hiker huts like you find in Europe or in the northeast U.S. Here's info specific to the Superstition Mountains:

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/wilderness/wilderness-superstition-index.shtml

Note that this area is legally designated wilderness, meaning significant improvements of ANY kind, definitely including covered lodging, are forbidden. Here's more info on what "wilderness" means:

www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/wilderness/wild_Faqs.shtml

Thus, to visit the Superstitions (which I HIGHLY recommend, if you are willing to plan intelligently and appropriately), you must stay in either a hotel (with day hiking) or a campground. Campgrounds, mostly with minimal facilities, are available in the Tonto National Forest:
    www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rec-camping-index.shtml
    or you can do desert wilderness hiking (NOT for neophytes to the desert!).

To hike via hikers huts or hostels in the mountains, you'll probably have to visit the northeast U.S. -- which I wouldn't recommend in April for mountain hiking.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines