Phnom Penh Travel Answers

change location

Phnom Penh to Chiangmai

by Doug.carolyn Online Now Oct 16, 2011 at 2:43 AM

My husband and I are looking for information about travel from Phnom Penh to Chiangmai
By bus or a combination of travel modes. Can anyone help us?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • cochinjew's Profile Photo

Re: Phnom Penh to Chiangmai

by cochinjew Online Now Oct 16, 2011 at 5:45 AM

that is straightforward enough. www.airasia.com
    PNH to BKK and there are 7 fights a day to Chiang Mai.
    if you book early you can get reasonably good prices and much cheaper than bus and overland and the time saved would be precious...
    do not recommend land journey to BKK or Thailand ..from PNH

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Oct 16, 2011 at 7:05 AM

If you want to go by bus, it's a very long ride. I've done the trip from Siam Reap to BKK and it could easily take you 8-10 hours. The road condition has improved significantly as it has been paved in Cambodia. I was traveling on a dusty road a few years ago and it really was no fun, and the bus broke down a couple of times on the way.

It's very easy to head up to Chiang Mai once you are in Bangkok. You can take a overnight train with sleeping berth, or a VIP class night bus with reclining seat.

As the previous person has suggested, flying is so much easier and cheap if you book ahead of time.

• xuelipie's Profile Photo

by xuelipie Online Now Oct 16, 2011 at 7:25 AM

hi.. i also suggest, take airasia from PP to bangkok, then bkk to chiangmai... and like the other one says u have a chance to get cheap airfare if u book early.... you will save a lot of time by plane and also doesn't cost u much..

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Oct 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I reconsider the long bus ride and find the flight options since they are rather inexpensive. It can be done though and I sugguest to go to a tour agency to book a ticket or to get info. Most tour agency in the far east are very helpful with minumuim cost. I use them many time because they do the leg work for you for a few dollars.

cheers tommy x

• kidfree's Profile Photo

by kidfree Online Now Nov 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I would second the flight option. AirAsia have some incredible prices if you check the website regularly. I had a flight in April Phnom Penh to Bangkok for under30. A few days later the offer was no longer available. Check regularly and you might get a real bargain. Good airline as well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines