Philippines Travel Answers

change location
culturedesigns's Profile Photo

How is the weather/water clarity in lower islands now?

by culturedesigns Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM

We are thinking of flying back to the Philippines for the last to weeks of our trip(we are in Vietnam now), maybe Bohol or Palawan, for some good relaxing and snorkeling time.
We are on the fence because of our experience with Luzon, while beautiful, the smog and smoke really got to us. We both got sinus infections.
Do either of these Island suffer from that too? How is the weather there now and how is the water clarity?
I'd love to get some advice before I book tickets.
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: How is the weather/water clarity in lower islands now?

by davidjo Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I have lived in Palawan for 18 years and there is definitely no smog or smoke. The island has fresh air and there is good snorkling and diving. i would suggest Port Barton, El Nido and Coron. the island is served by many budget airlines with many flights each day. Check out my pages for ideas.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • schurman23's Profile Photo

by schurman23 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Bohol and palawan are very much different than here in Luzon, particularly the Metro Manila. These days are the perfect time to go there as it is already summer season here. Im not sure what do you mean by water quality, but if you're referring to drinking water, as in any place I travelled, I always rely on bottled water for drinking better sure than sorry. If, on the other hand you refer to the water in the beaches you can visit my travel pages on these places and you'll be surely convinced to visit these places.

1 member found this helpful

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Salt water is good for sinus infection and hope that you have a good dive.

cheers tommy x

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

by TrendsetterME Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Well, Manila is a mega city and actually is an exception for Phlps due to heavy traffic and pollution which every big city faces the same problem on this world ..

But u will enjoy heavenlike nature as u r out of Mnl and as u visit the Islands ..

As the former posters have mentioned, El Nido and Coron r good options for Palawan, in which u can have swimming in lagoons, scuba dive, snorkeling, Underground River and so on ..

If u stay in Cebu City, I would suggest the Malapascua Island and Bantayan Island at the northern part of the Island, but its exhausting for daily trips, so u better make a 3 days/2 nights overstay to those islands, there r several package programs and promos departing as of Cebu City ...

And regarding to Bohol Island, either u can use fast ferry from Cebu City to Tubigon and / or Tagbilaran and enjoy ur time in several beaches as like Panglao Beach or u can decide to take a direct flight from Mnl to Tagbilaran and stay in Bohol Island for several days ....

Cebu Pacific, Zest Air, Airphlps r the budget airlines and offer many nice promos, even sometimes combined as "flight+stay", so I suggest u to check their websites and offices in city sothat u r updated for best rates ...

Enjoy your time in Phlps ... :)

• bongski's Profile Photo

by bongski Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 4:18 AM

palawan will have the best water clarity in terms of snorkeling or diving. Panglao island in Bohol gets a little bit hazy,but pamilacan and the other dive sites in bohol are very clear. Air quality in palawan is incomparable to metro manila.

bong

• MayvelynG's Profile Photo

by MayvelynG Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:30 AM

January to April is the best time to visit Palawan/Bohol- specially for snorkeliing or diving. Those months are considered peak season as well, so expect higher prices of hotels or accomodations.

2 members found this helpful

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Or you could consider going farther south to the big island of Mindanao where it's much less developed and visited thus more aggreable as far as all the elements considered. And because there's less traffic, you can expect your overall cost here to be cheaper.

The tiny island of Camiguin (easy access from Cebu and Bohol by ferry) is a gem. Very basic and without tourist-oriented trappings but thoroughly brilliant. And the island is steep in natural beauty - hot and cold springs, waterfalls, volcanoes, great diving ( don't miss the sunken Spanish cemetery) and beaches (a visit to a most unique White Island, a sandbar in the middle of the ocean is a must) and fantastic local markets. A little paradise it is.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Philippines Travel Answer Locations