Philadelphia Travel Answers

change location
hyafio's Profile Photo

What is the area like around S. Broad and Walnut Street?

by hyafio Online Now May 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM

What is the area like around S. Broad and Walnut Street? We have hastily booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown and I have been searching for info on the area surrounding the hotel to no avail.
So to all you locals, is the area decent? What is there to do there? Anything we should steer clear of?
Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: What is the area like around S. Broad and Walnut Street?

by travelmad478 Online Now May 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Broad and Walnut is a very nice area in Center City Philadelphia. It is quite bustling and there are tons of shops and restaurants there. It is pretty much the heart of downtown Philly. You can walk to a lot.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Mesven's Profile Photo

by Mesven Online Now May 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM

The area around Broad and Walnut is rather nice, but I’d be especially careful walking about the area late at night. Unfortunately, Philly is not as safe as it used to be. Lately there has been a good deal of street crime perpetrated by young thugs looking for an easy score. No need to be paranoid, although it’s probably a good idea to be always aware of your immediate surroundings.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• PR-7's Profile Photo

As safe as any part of Philly

by PR-7 Online Now May 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM

There are, indeed, parts of Philly you don't want to go to. Fortunately, there's no reason (other than to buy illegal drugs) that you would want to. The corner of Broad and Walnut -- a place I go to all the time -- is not one of those areas. You should, as you would in any major city around the world, keep your wits about as you travel this area, particularly at night. But the area is invariably so full of people, light, and police that I have never had any qualms about going there. It is, after all, in the heart of the Philly cultural area known as The Avenue of the Arts.

A simple rule to follow for safety for visitors to this city: if you have no reason to go to an neighborhood, then don't go. Follow that advice, and you'll experience more danger from Philly drivers than from Philly crooks.

• hyafio's Profile Photo

by hyafio Online Now May 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Thanks to everyone!
    Our trip to Philly was great although the hotel was a disappointment. Heeding your advice, we arrived around 8PM, checked in and then walked up Broad to City Hall where we toured the murals and grand marblework...and remained vigilant. I must say, Philly is one of the more beautiful little cities I have ever seen. Everyone was friendly and even the homeless were polite.
    My only gripe was with parking; and parking difficulties are expected with a vehicle as tall as mine in an urban environment.
    I had called the hotel several times prior to my arrival and was assured I would have a place to park but then arrived to a garage that was a foot too small and no one there was prepared for my New York temper.
    Ultimately, I walked onto Walnut and personally held pedestrian and motor traffic while my husband turned around.
    I must say, when I yelled, they listened :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines