Philadelphia Travel Answers

change location

Phila to NYC Transportation

by mariecarmen Online Now Jul 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I am planning a trip from Philadelphia to NYC with my daughter and a friend of her. I check the Amtrak ways but it was too expensive for me. What is the easiest and safety way to go there?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Phila to NYC Transportation

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jul 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hi - less expensive than the trains are buses. Check www.megabus.com or www.boltbus.com - they are both very reasonably priced. The earlier you book, the less expensive it will be. Even though it's a short trip, I'd take the bus in the day - you shouldn't have to worry about safety.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • footstool's Profile Photo

by footstool Online Now Jul 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Yes, Donna is right as usual. I have taken this Boltbus to Boston and back, last summer, for the princely sum of24 Round Trip. I found it to be reliable and comfy.

• Re: Phila to NYC Transportation

by timessquare Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 8:04 AM

The easiest is Amtrak which you just said is too expensive.

Note that the bus is subject to traffic conditions both on the NJ Turnpike and at the Lincoln Tunnel. The merge at exit 8A of the NJ Turnpike is particualarly bad especially on a Friday afternoon.

I have often seen the entry to the Lincoln Tunnel backed up all the way from the NJ Turnpike exit to the helix with the delay being at least an hour. Weekends are especially bad.

• Re: Phila to NYC Transportation

by trheelgirl Online Now Jul 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

There are several bus companies that run Philly to NYC route - Chinatown Bus, BoltBus, etc. Of course, Greyhound Bus. All are very inexpensive, but please understand that you get what you pay for in terms of comfort and timeliness. Since I hate driving into NYC and I travel on a tight budget, these buses are ok with me.

• PhillyBorn&Bread's Profile Photo

by PhillyBorn&Bread Online Now Sep 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Too expensive? NJ Transit from 30th street to NYC Penn station is15.50 one way and half that for children. It's only a couple of dollars more than the buses and a whole lot faster, safer, comfortable and easier. I dont think you can find better or safer.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines