Philadelphia Travel Answers

change location
Thomps's Profile Photo

Hotel recommendation

by Thomps Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Planning to spend a day in early May photographing Eastern Penitentiary near 22nd and Fairmount. Looking for hotels in the vicinity in a "good" area. Want to avoid downtown traffic.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel recommendation

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Are you going have a car?

As you know, a lot of hotels are closer to the tourist spots and convention center spots east of the courthouse (or whatever that municipal building is), but I can recommend to you the Latham Hotel at Rittenhouse Square (http://lathamhotelphiladelphia.com/). The square is between 18th and 20th Streets (good), but between 1/2 and 1 mile south of your desired location.

Oh, they're promoting a 25% off sale at the moment. If you go, see if you can get a corner room. This is a "boutique" hotel, which is Eurospeak for "very small rooms" ;-)...The corner rooms are a hair larger and you can open the windows for cross ventilation (at least you could a few years ago).

The hotel is in a great location - the Square itself is lively - and I have walked to the east in the direction of the Convention Center several times, and see no problem with that walk. I have not walked to the north, where your desired location is. It would be interesting to see what others say.

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sevsa's Profile Photo

by Sevsa Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

There aren't any hotels in the same neighborhood as Eastern State but there are some on the Ben Franklin Parkway and near the convention center which should be close enough for you. To mention a few, Windsor Suites, Four Seasons, Hampton Inn and Residence Inn. The area that Eastern State is in is fine and you could walk from any of these hotels (and others) if you are so inclined. Parking is expensive at most hotels and you won't find on street parking where you can leave your car for long periods of time.

1 member found this helpful

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I had a great time at the Alexander Inn centrally located in downtown Philadelphia. It is an older hotel with spotless rooms and extremely helpful staff. There is a gym in the basement and a computer center which are free to use. The breakfast buffet in the morning was well above average with a good supply of fresh fruit and some healthy items. A big plus is that the room rate was substantially below some of the big hotels in the area. There are bars and restaurants nearby. The hotel is located on the corner of 12th and Spruce Streets. Here is a link;

http://www.alexanderinn.com/home.asp

The trip advisor reviews along with the recommendation of someone living in the area sold me on this hotel. I would definitely return.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Like Bill, I've stayed at the Latham (in fact, a few times over the years), and I've always enjoyed my time there. It's a great location and one can walk everywhere. Despite growing up in Phila., I'm rarely back so don't know the hotels around the Parkway at all, but I'm glad to read there are some. Early May should be great for good weather.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines