Petten Travel Answers

change location

Petten

by VanPatter Online Now May 1, 2004 at 4:05 AM

Where can I get genealogy information about Petton? I have recently discovered that my earliest known ancestor was Albertese of Petten. Born in 1540. I am very curious about the area. Most of what I have read says it is now a nuclear town. I understand it used to be a fishing village. I would love any other pictures available or just any history in general.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Petten

by pieter_jan_v Online Now May 1, 2004 at 5:50 AM

There is a general site for looking for Dutch ancestors. Try: http://www.nedgen.nl/nedgen.html and see how far you come. PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Re: Petten

by Pavlik_NL Online Now May 2, 2004 at 4:28 AM

Hi there, ancient Dutchman (-: Petten is a small village in North Holland, bordering the North sea, but sheltered by the "Hondsbosse zeewering" (a coastal defence dike that was created already centuries ago, because here was a weak dune part that endangered the province with high tides and storm). Petten is definately not a nuclear village, though on the internet you will find many reports about the storage of nuclear material and the nuclear test-plant that is here). It before all is one of the many touristic villages that are along the North sea shore and attract many visitors from all over the globe. Indeed, it used to be a fishermen's village, but in lack of a harbour now-a-days, this is long past. Maybe interesting websites are: http://www.vvvpetten.nl/ (tourist info website of Petten itself, sorry Dutch and German only) noord-holland-tourist.nl/nl/... (other touristic info-site, this time from tourist-info North Holland - Dutch only). wijsvinger.nl/provincies/noo... (website of the manucipality that Petten belongs to "Zijpe" - it has many links on it as well - Dutch only) Anyway, if you have any specific questions, just mail me, I'll try to be of assistance to you. Greets from Arnhem - the other side of The Netherlands, Paul

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines