Peschiera del Garda Travel Answers

change location
gerardmush's Profile Photo

train travel

by gerardmush Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Hi
My 11 year old son and I are travelling from Milan to Pescheira on 28 July returning 7 August and would have like to book a return train journey- is this possible?

Gerard Marshall

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: train travel

by leics Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

You do not need to book trains in advance in Italy. Just buy the ticket from the ticket machines (which have English language options) on the day you travel (or the day before if you wish).

The machines will offer you the chance to buy a return ticket if you wish, but it will be no cheaper than two one-way tickets. It's up to you whether you bother or whether you just buy the Peschiera>Milan ticket at Peschiera when you are ready to leave.

You must make sure that you validate 9date-stamp) the ticket before boarding, using the yellow machines on the platforms. There are on-the-spot fines for non-validation and guards do check.

You can find train times, details and fares in English here.

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

There are frequent departures. Journey time varies according to departure, from just over an hour to just over 1.5 hours. One-way fare is 18 euro for the faster trains, 8.80 euro for the slower ones.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gerardmush's Profile Photo

by gerardmush Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Thanks for that. I believe during summer 2011 children travel on train free with adult- can you confirm?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Not personally, as I do not travel with children under 11.

However, if you go to

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

and click the 'Trenitalia' tab, then the 'offer and deals' tab then on the link for 'Bimbi gratis' you will see all the relevant information in English.

But this is only for tickets booked through Trenitalia in advance (and availability per train is limited). It's up to you whether you consider booking in advance worthwhile...I understand from others that it is not easier to be successful when booking on the Trenitalia site with 'foreign' cards but, again,. have no personal experience of this.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Peschiera del Garda