Peru Travel Answers

change location
Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Order of town stops for altitude acclimatisation and travel advice for possible itiuzconeraty

by Tickled_Pink Online Now Jan 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Hi

The more I get into planning our trip in Peru the more excited I am getting however I seem to be getting more confused. Please help.

1) Firstly I'm contemplating one of two directions of travel. Either Lima-Puno-Cusco-MP or Lima-Cuzco-MP-Puno-(either to Lima or back to Cuzco)? Which is better and why in terms of acclimatizing and cost effectivness in travel?

2) We are using voyager tickets to fly into Lima with the option of continuing to Cusco (without stopping in Lima) Is Lima worth the stop for a day or two? If so then we may consider a day tour to Nazca Lines and return to Lima.

Day 1: Lima
Day 2: Lima --> Nazca --> Lima
Day 3: Lima --> Cusco (overnight)
Day 4: Cuzco (overnight)
Day 5: visit Pisac & Cuzco (overnight)
Day 6: Train Cuzco--> MP (overnight agues calientes)
Day 7: Train MP --> Ollantaytambo (overnight here)
Day 8: Back to MP --- Train urubamba (overnight)
Day 9:Train Cuzco --> Puno

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bill32's Profile Photo

Re: Order of town stops for altitude acclimatisation and travel advice for possible itiuzconeraty

by bill32 Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

OK to go directly on from Lima to Cusco, just don't do any hiking or exercise for the first 18-24 hours. In regard to other places:
    Ollantaytambo, yes, spend a day and evening there. Great village, lots of Inca ruins, good food and drink.
    Nazca, pass this up, a waste of time, long day on the bus to see very little.
    Pisco, yes, nice beaches, boats to bird and seal islands.
    Aguas Caliente - I would not say there unless you plan on spending more than one day in that area. Better to say at Ollantaytambo and take train to MP and back.

Bill32

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Peru Travel Answer Locations