Peru Travel Answers

change location

Easter Island or the Peruvian Amazon

by Kuskiwi Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My next trip is a short one to South America. There will be about 6 days before joining a small tour party which goes to the places I want to in Peru then onto the Galapogos. At the moment I'm trying to decide between Easter Island or a short Amazon trip. I'd be grateful if anyone who has been to both would discuss the pros and cons. Unfortunately there is not time to do both.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Easter Island or the Peruvian Amazon

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM

As you are already visiting the Galapagos Islands it might be best to experience the Amazon Rainforest instead of visiting another island. I have never been to Easter Island but i have spent a week or so in the Amazon area of Brazil, but i guess you will be in Peru so i suggest you think about visiting Iquitos. The prices on this link seem to be quite reasonable (particularly the 3 day jungle adventure which would leave you a couple of days to explore the area yourself). if you are taking a tour, otherwise you have to make your own way to Iquitos and arrange tours from there, which will probably be cheaper. For me the Amazon is the mother of all rivers , the jungle, birds and life on the river is amazing and not to be missed if you are in the area.
    http://www.paseosamazonicos.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JessieLang's Profile Photo

by JessieLang Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I can't talk about Easter Island (it's on my list, but I haven't been there yet) but I spent a week on a boat on the Amazon--out of I quitos--and it was wonderful. Given the choice, I'd pick the Amazon.

• the_dutchman's Profile Photo

by the_dutchman Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My wife and I spend a week on Easter Island (E.I) and enjoyed it thoroughly. One week is more than enough to see all that is interesting. I also spend a week floating down the Amazon from Iquitos Peru to Santa Rosa, Tabatinga and Manaus Brazil. It was an experience to do this and well worth it, but the scenery as awesome as it is, does become a bit repetitious. Therefore I would prefer to climb the vocanoes, crawl through the lava tunnels and check out the different Moais on the island. I would think that the cost to E.I. would be higher than the trip on the Amazon, But you could always go to the Amazon a different time. I have visited all of S.A. over nine times as it is easier to get to. If you want more info just contact me.

Gerry, The_Dutchman  The first few photos are from E.I. , the rest are views on the Amazon.

T

• Re: Easter Island or the Peruvian Amazon

by Kuskiwi Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Many thanks. I've just discovered that I can fly NZ via Papeete to Easter Island then onto Santiago which may eliminate a lot of downtime time and with a bit of juggling I may be able to fit in a 3-4 days in each. At the moment I have the opposite problem to the one I used to have in that I have funds but no time. (Sometimes you just can't win!!)

by the_dutchman Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That is the way that we flew. Auckland, Papeete, E.I. Santiago and many places after that. On arrival at the A'port in E.I. there will be many people to try and rent you accommodation, in case you don't have any. Car rentals are possible as well.

First three photos are from N.Z., then Tahiti, E.I. and a couple of Santiago, Chile.

Call me again if you need to, glad to help

Gerry,  The_Dutchman

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

by rudysmom626 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Some of these photos would have made great flag photos!! Don't forget your flag, Dutchman!

by the_dutchman Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hi Blake,

It would have been great to have had that flag in the years past. I am not finished with travelling but I am slowing down. I don't know how much more I can see (75 countries to date). By the way, that's a great picture of you at Chitzen Itza. Here is one of me

Gerry,    The_Dutchman

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Peru Travel Answer Locations