Peru Travel Answers

change location

Choquequirao vs 4 Day Inca Trail

by rustoleum2k Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I am planning on visiting Peru in April of this year and am trying to decide if I should do:

1) The whole 4-day Inca Trail trek or...

2) The Choquequirao trek (4 days) then doing just a 2 day Inca Trail trek.

I have heard mixed things about the Inca Trail. Some suggested that the 3rd (last day before Macchu Picchu) is the best which is what we will do with option #2 above.    If anyone has done both your advice would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Choquequirao vs 4 Day Inca Trail

by davidjo Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I just like to inform you that the Inca Trail Trek gets booked up well in advance so you better make up your mind quickly should you decide this option. I did it years ago and the trek is great especially the view before you ascend to MP

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

by Tom_In_Madison Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

not sure, but I want to see the answer too.

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Tom_In_Madison wrote: not sure, but I want to see the answer too.
     Hey Tom...if you just want to see the answer, you don't need to reply, you can just click "follow" button in the top right. 

2 members found this helpful

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I did a tour in November of a number of Inca sites with a fantastic guide and tour leader - now that Ive been I agree with people that say that Macchu Picchu on its own gets so much hype in overdose but the other excellent sites are just as amazing and worthy of hype but many people think MP is THE place to get to - its by seeing the other places as a package that the penny drops so to speak and the awesomeness of it all astounds you. As I was recovering from surgery I did a tour that had a lower grade of exertion so we didnt have the Inca trail in our tour but we did have the option of being able to do the last day of the trail which finishes at the sungate above MP (and I did do the hike up to the sungate from MP...phew ee what a effort that was! but it was worth it!). The guy who did do Day 4 of the Inca trail loved it and would love to do the entire trip - my cousin also raved on about how excellent he found the 4 day Inca trail as do most people. Ive just had a read of reviews about Choquequirao on Trip Advisor and its got quite awesome reviews....

but from Olyantaytambo we also got told about another excellent hike that joins up with the Inca trail...quite spoilt for choice really. But sounds like Choquequirao is very impressive!  All the best - absolutely loved everything about Peru!

• Re: Choquequirao vs 4 Day Inca Trail

by rustoleum2k Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for your help! I am looking forward to my trip; I think i am going to do the Choquequirao then 2 days on the IT.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

by Tom_In_Madison Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

which outfitter are you looking at, Rust? How many days on Choq..?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Peru Travel Answer Locations